Watch your step Fritz! 1/35

Hi guys,
As I write this in January 2021, this is still a WIP project. I started building this in April 2020, a few other projects have been on the work bench as well since that.
But as I still is learning and improving my skills time is no problem. I have noticed that sometimes it’s better to put a build on hold and do some other stuff and then after some weeks or months start working again with a better result.

For me it’s typical to not have a 100% layout completed when I start working on a diorama.
The scene and ideas start coming in my head along the work. Sometimes that good and sometimes a bit irritating.

Anyway, this build (of course) started as another scenario but soon turned into this:

My starting point was the Hetzer that I built a year before but still haven’t painted. So, I wanted a tank, a house, some terrain, a fence, some trees and bushes and a bunch of soldiers.
After buying a big box with different Warrior soldiers in 1/35 I had a lot of choices.

The first figure to pick was the one scratching something off his boot. That’s a quite odd figure and that suits me.
So this guy is called Fritz, Fritz is an German SS-soldier fighting in Estonia late summer of 1944.
Fritz problem right now is that he has walked in a dog poop. This shit smells so he have to remove it, the other wounded soldiers sitting around the motorcycle is having a good time laughing at him.

Fritz:

The soldiers to the left is discussing the best way of defending the hill that they are ordered to defend.
So, that’s the idea/scenario of this scratch build diorama in 1/35 called “Watch your step Fritz”.

Here is some pictures:

image image image image image image image image image

12 Likes

Love the story! From the looks so far I’m 100% confident it will become another amazing dio!

1 Like

Don’t worry, the fence will be looking like this in the end:

For a short time I was planning to have a sort of bridge in front of the tank, but I chose to remove it.

The stone house was replaced to a wooden house, they are more common in Estonia.

7 Likes

@Panzer_modeler Thanks:)

More pictures, I think you understand the process watching the pictures.

The stone wall to the right was also replaced to a wooden wall:

8 Likes

The roof still gives he a headache!
I have not yet decided in what color it will be.

The brick wall behind the tank was easier to build and paint:

The old wall was removed for another purpose:)

8 Likes

I found a house in the country side of Sweden that works great as a reference:

This is the last update I have. I am working on the windows which is not ready yet. I hope to continue the work this spring.

Concerning the figures:
The figures from Warriors are both SS and Wehrmacht. I have removed the Wehrmacht badges on the collars and will replace them with SS badges. I hope this will be enough to make them look like the belong to the same unit?
I know of course that this is not 100% correct, but I do my best and those figures are the one I have to use.
Over and out

16 Likes

Awesome work. I love the story as well.

1 Like

Very nice dio…watching with interest!

1 Like

Very cool. I’ll be keeping my eye in this one also
Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Not only the ideas develop as you progress, but also the execution! I love the story and the ideas. What did you use to smear between the bricks?

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys! Looking forward to start working on it again:)
@golikell I use wall putty for this type of work.
/Erik

@golikell This morning I worked with the same wall putty on a house in 1/72. You see the difference between with and without putty :rofl:

5 Likes

Another example of the same putty. Best thing ever:)

3 Likes

Indeed works like a breeze…

1 Like

Great work. Really like the concept/story. Waiting for more. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Beautiful work so far, can’t wait to see the finished product!

1 Like

Nice work all around here!
J

1 Like

I was hooked as soon as read the back story. Brilliant idea and faultlessly executed so far. It all looks superb. The way you structured the house and walls is brilliant. More please :smiley:

1 Like

Well done. Thank you for uploading the many pics so we all can see your progress and how each step of the way turned out.

Cheers!

chuck

1 Like

Wow… Nice details… This is going greate…

Regards

1 Like