Wehrtechnischen Studiensammlung (WTS), Koblenz, Germany

This collection was founded in 1961/62. At that time it was called “Collection for Weapon and Design Studies” and was based at the Bundeswehr Technical Centre 91 in Meppen/Emsland. In 1982, the collection moved to its current location in Mayener Straße 85-87 in Koblenz-Luetzel. Due to its vast exhibition space of more than 7000 m², it is one of the most important collections of defence technology in Germany.
When I was there in 2005, the lighting was sub par and the setup of part of the collection was not very suitable for photography. Therefor the quality of the pictures is not too good, for which I appologize. Yet, the collection is such, that I did not want to withold them for you.
Currently the collection is closed for visitors until further notice.

8 Likes

Interesting, but tight.

Exactly… I wish I had a tripod with me at the time…

I was lucky enough to visit here within the auspices of attendance at a Bundeswehr Innere Fuehrung course back in around 1992; the course also meant attendance at a wine tasting evening (what could possibly go wrong?).

The collection is indeed, impressive, almost overwhelming. I do hope it doesn’t remain completely off-limits for much longer.

1 Like

They own a lot more of interesting stuff. Armor plating of the “Tirpitz” battleship, a “Maschinengranatwerfer”, the first automatic mortar of the world, used in WW2 to arm german bunkers of the West- and the Ostwall, a “Leibermeister” pattern uniform (experimental german late WW2 pattern with integrated infrared camouflage) and much more. They also owned a Panther back than.

Regards

• dutik
1 Like

Those are interesting exhibits indeed! Do you have any photos of those?

Well, yes. The Panther (turret number blue 801), the Leibermeister uniform, some more stuff. But these were made around the year 2000, well before the age of the digicam, so they are old school paper prints only. I’ll try to take a photo of some photos the next days (no scanner here). Maybe we are lucky to get some usable shots?

Regards

• dutik

That would be very nice