West Point

I tripped over this in today’s Brit media; if true, then I find it all a bit sad:

West Point military academy drops ‘Duty, Honor, Country’ motto from its mission statement - as furious veterans’ slam ‘progressive ideology’ for eroding tradition | Daily Mail Online

No that I wish to initiate a political sh*t storm-type discussion, but doesn’t every last thing seem to be going to hell in a handcart? Does everything have to be well, so dumbed down?

8 Likes

If true that is sad. I’ve got a video of the ANA company that I ran shouting those words out in Farsi when I called them to attention. Especially significant given that many of them didn’t grasp the true nature of a “country” when their first allegiance was to their tribe.

8 Likes

Indeed sad if true. This is what happens when people don’t stand up to this kind of nonsense when it starts, thinking that it’s just a harmless bunch on the fringe that agrees with this stuff. Everyone thought that Hitler and the Nazis were fringe elements too until it was too late. These kinds of things never end well. Usually several million have to die before it’s all over.

7 Likes

Yes I saw that as well Brian. I didn’t read the entire article but I suspect the words duty , honor, country are somehow offending people? What kind of leadership allows this and did anyone stand up to it? I just don’t get it….

2 Likes

As I say, it all seems to be dumbed down, if not sacrificed on the altar of DEI.

Even form a sort of advertising executive’s (and I’m not one) perspective, you’d think 3 x punchy words would be better than a couple of paragraphs of trendy jargon.

It makes you wonder - apropos my own benighted Army, who exactly buys in to all this crap?

4 Likes

I mean what next? I’m sure someone will find the Ranger Creed offensive in some manner and will want to change it. Jeez

3 Likes

I could weep; I’ve always understood (and maintained) that Armies exist to break things and kill people; anything else (say as a result of being a disciplined, formed unit etc) is coincidental. Sadly, along the way certainly the Brit hierarchy seem to forget that. Soooo, we end up with soldiers deployed in some of the less salubrious parts of the planet focussing on “Female rights” and to my mind, other fatuous endeavours (all very welcome in Whitehall I’m sure). All very laudable no doubt, but a long, long way from breaking things and killing people, or at least training so to do.

2 Likes

When I was in pre-phase (zero week, whatever you want to call it) for SFQC at Ft. Bragg, we’d run down the street in the morning calling out various offensive cadences. One was:
Rape!
Kill!
Pillage and Burn!
Rape, kill, pillage and burn. Hey, hey, hey!

No I don’t advocate rape. But imagine a bunch a future Green Berets running down the street yelling:
Cuddle! Coddle! Comfort! Forgive!

Doesn’t quite project the image of someone you don’t want to eff with.

4 Likes

7 Likes

This should be a poster displayed in every office of our wretched Ministry of Defence!

4 Likes

Anyone know what motto preceded it until it appeared in 1998? While the motto has been there for a quarter-century, that’s a very small portion of VMA’s long history…

1 Like

i find the term “Ministry of Defense” offensive, imperialist and not politically correct, hence forth it should be known as " United Kingdom’s non binary all inclusive combat comfort and care organisation"

:rofl::rofl::rofl::yum::yum::yum:

ok i will lay off of the sarcasm now

4 Likes

Lmao!!!

1 Like

Hell yeah ! I remember all kinds of offensive cadences……and having to stop them in summer of ‘89 when I left active duty. Shame

2 Likes

We used to have a Department of War. Quite succinct.

3 Likes

I guess it’s all in the wording

1 Like

yeah back WW2 I think we had a ministry of war iirc

2 Likes

I believe that I read yesterday that was “dropped” and the original motto would remain. Someone has way too much time and way too little forethought.

4 Likes

I recall it was known as “The War Office” (before my time I hasten to add); this led to some hoary old stories by my predecessor clerks who were then in the RASC, whereby it was rumoured they would answer the phone in said department, “War Office: who wants a fight?”.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a MacArthur quote.

1 Like