What Are Your Favorite Five Best Of All Time War Movies?

When I sat down to watch Lebanon, I honestly knew nothing about it, other than someone I knew said, “watch it.” I had no expectations. It surprised me. Good Film.

3 Likes

Tied between:

A Bridge Too Far

Kelly’s Heroes

1 Like

Some outside my Top 5, but needing mention and not yet listed

The Beast
Red Dawn
By Dawn’s Early Light
The Thin Red Line
Pork Chop Hill
Go Tell The Spartans
Flight of the Intruder

4 Likes

Lebanon was good!

1 Like

Ah! The Beast (Of War). I remember reading that Capt. Dale Dye sat down with an IDF general (the movie was filmed in Israel) and he smooth a deal to purchase several old Ti-67 tanks from the IDF to use during filming. He ended up helping the film company acquire four of them. You can still see the military placard on the front of the tank and the fact that the tank is sporting an L68 105mm gun over the T-55s D10 100mm main gun.

5 Likes

Apocalypse Now
Kanal
Red Dawn (1)
All Quiet on the Western Front
Victory

Several more but those are the five

1 Like

Great movie

3 Likes
  1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Gettysburg
  3. Patton
  4. Tora Tora Tora
  5. Platoon
2 Likes

Agree with your comment about Fury.

One of the best Brad Pitt role and movie.

I like a lot the atmosphere of the movie.

1 Like

Not necessarily in this order:

Kelly’s Heroes

Zulu

Cross of Iron

Sand Pebbles

The Blue Max

5 Likes

My top 5:

Das Boot
At War as at War(На войне как на войне)
Dneprovskij Rubezh(Днепровский Рубеж)
Thin Red Line
Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter)

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Can I add a few more?

They were not divided (if only for the real Panther & Tiger)

Tunes of Glory (well, not strictly speaking a war film, but plenty of conflict and Alec Guiness at his best).

Henry V (1944 version) - if only for the King’s speech (Olivier) on St Crispin’s Day, and also for the King’s reply to the French Herald, which I can’'t help but quote here:

"We are but warriors for the working-day; Our gayness and our gilt are all besmirch’d With rainy marching in the painful field; There’s not a piece of feather in our host-- Good argument, I hope, we will not fly-- And time hath worn us into slovenry:

*But, by the mass, our hearts are in the trim".

Valkyrie - Tom Cruise is pretty good in this I feel; whilst it all ended in tragedy, it showed that some bothered.

Die Wannsee Konferenz - the German TV production from 1984; absolutely chilling (German with subtitles) - much better than the later Branagh tosh.

6 Likes

No particular order

Private Ryan
Zulu
Kingdom of Heaven
The Alamo 2004
Gettysburg
The Crossing
Kellys Heroes
Troy
Fury
Patton
Sahara
Lost Battalion
All Quiet on the Western Front-both versions
Dirty Dozen

4 Likes

Thumbs up for Die Wannsee Konferenz, Brian!

Although very far from a war movie, it is worth watching-and I’ve done that many times.

Further- I fully agree the German 1984 TV production is much better than the later one.

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

What about this one ?

H.P.

3 Likes

Thanks Angel; it is a remarkable effort I feel. I remember seeing it when it came out in 1984 - I may even have been in Germany at the time - and it made a huge impact on me.

I think some of the impact was due to the overall nature of “just another conference” despite the monstrous implications; coupled to that was that I, in my many military roles, had several times organised similar conferences for senior officers so it had a sort of resonance with me. The agenda, the refreshments, and the minutes - all of which I used to do(!)

2 Likes

WOW!! Lots of good movies listed here and some I’ve never heard of.
Tough to list, do I go with historical accuracy or pure entertainment?
Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
Das Boot
12 O’Clock High
Battle of Britain
633 Squadron
Story of GI Joe
Cross of Iron
Pvt Ryan
Bridges at Toko Ri
OOppss my $.02 worth became 2 bits worth ($.25) A dream Labor Day weekend… a pound of popcorn, 12+ bottles of beer and any 9 of the movies listed from all the posts!

3 Likes

I thought the post said only 5 :joy:

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Guns of Navarone

Generation War

A Bridge Too Far

Bridge On the River Kwai

Fury

Catch 22

When Trumpets Fade

Midnight Clear

Boy I can keep on going :rofl:

3 Likes

After checking out everyone’s lists, I’m reminded of 10 movies I forgot to include, one I haven’t noticed is . . . .

The Hunters - with Robert Mitchum and Robert Wagner, Korean war flick with some decent F86 flight footage and F84’s as Mig 15’s

Cajun :crocodile:

1 Like

Another war movie I forgot to add to my list is Mosul.

Cheers,
Angel

2 Likes