What Are Your Favorite Five Best Of All Time War Movies?

Not to mention the Jap planes attacking a row of modern warships

4 Likes

That’s very interesting; clearly no problem being thus typecast - one is never out of work I imagine.

What it is to have blonde hair, blue eyes and Nazi cheekbones. Sigh(!)

2 Likes

Hear are mine

1. Saving Private Ryan
  2. Gettysburg
  3. Full Metal Jacket
  4. Blackhawk Down
  5. We Were Soldiers
    Or I could just pick the first 5 parts of Band of Brothers, which tops them all.
    Honorable Mention- War Horse, Midway(2019), and All Quiet on The Western Front(2021)
    Worst war movie might have been Red Tails, the flying sequences were pretty bad, with yellow nosed ME262s
3 Likes

100% agreed, the 2001 movie is pure fish guts in a plastic garbage can on the hottest day in summer.

I didn’t want my money back after seeing this stinker when it released, I wanted my wasted time back.

4 Likes

100% agreed here too! It shouldn’t even have been called Pearl Harbor. 2.5 hours of romantic schlock and we don’t even get to see her puppies. Then a couple of minutes of badly staged attack footage tacked on at the end. Not worth the time.

3 Likes

Wait a dern minute now . . Kate Beckinsale in that red dress . . . “O my my, O hell yes, honey put on your party dress!”, might have been a little lame as a historical re-enactment but those freshly painted P40s were nice to look at, made one helluva love story. :kiss:

“We were Soldiers” now that one was schlock.

Cajun :crocodile:

Was it top 5 or top 500 Mike :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Supposedly he could never get roles outside of those in films.
He did play the aide to James Mason’s WWI General in The Blue Max. Still German, but then very much an aristocratic Prussian officer.

3 Likes

I remember watching The Blue Max when it first came out; I think I was around 12.

Apart from making me want to make 1:72 WW1 airplanes - both Revell and Airfix, I don’t think I ever quite recovered over Ursula Andress(!)

6 Likes

2 Likes

Aaaaargh!

1 Like

In August 1944
Cross of Iron
Apocalypse Now
The Priest
Come and See

3 Likes

John,
I warned you. I can’t stop! :stop_sign: :rofl: Please disregard my bloated list if you will. However, there were some movies like ‘The Book Thief’ and ‘Greyhound’ that nobody else mentioned, so I just kept adding to my favorites. :film_strip: :star_struck:

—mike

2 Likes

More Honorable mentions to:

Bridge on the River Kwai
Doctor Strangle Love
Das Boot
Downfall
'71
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk

4 Likes

Well… I found that movie so dreadful and a serious affront to the Native Americans who did so much exemplary work.

Then you have Cage who seemed to be reprising his character from the cringey “Leaving Las Vegas,” in this case, a drunken Marine Corps NCO.

What was amazing to me at least, was his soliloquies during fierce battle in which the Japanese obliged him by ceasing fire.

It seems it was a battlefield courtesy which historians and veterans neglected to record. Alas, that we should be neglected to have Hollywood set us straight!

“Enemy at the Gates:” anyone the least bit familiar with Antony Beevor find that movie to be termed inaccurate is to be charitable.

“Pearl Harbor:” Seriously?

1 Like

Sounds kinky - a BDSM epic?
:chains: :exclamation: :chains:
Cheers,

M

3 Likes

I was really annoyed by that over-starched gravity-defying towel draped round her neck which didn’t move whatever she did.
Fortunately it was absent from a few other movies she made around that time…

Although in the movie it is implied Bruno Stachel is killed at the end, the novel “The Blue Max” has two sequels, “The Blood Order” and “The Tin Cravat”.

Cheers,

M

3 Likes

5 Likes

Just Love Casablanca…

4 Likes

You know how when they show a film and some of the audience dress up as their favourite characters, people call them Fans? They didn’t call me that when I wore a SS uniform to “Schindler’s List”…
:scream:
Cheers,

M

6 Likes