What Color Are Soviet WW2 Field Uniforms REALLY Supposed To Be?

I remember a website which showed examples of yellow brown uniforms. But when looking for it again I saw a website saying that that was the wrong color and they were olive green, or colors around that. So who can tell me what the truth is?

I always thought some version of khaki.

2 Likes

I’ve seen yellow brown and I’ve seen various shades of olive/brown. The overcoats were often a grayish shade of green/brown. Let’s face it… the USSR was not at all concerned with the appearance of their troops. Only officers got decent stuff. Even more apparent as the war continued.

s-l500

2 Likes

A couple more examples…

soviet-soldier-uniform-set_0

1 Like

Thanks, always helps to be sure. I am building a set of Zvezda dog soldiers, wearing 1942 winter uniforms and valenki boots, and had to be sure. BTW what color were the boots?

Ironically though this kit is of very high quality, in actual history the use of dogs carrying anti-tank mines would prove to be a failure and would disappear after 1942.

1 Like

Made of wool… the color of these would vary greatly.

1 Like

Ahhh…“Khaki”- the color of a thousand shades! :thinking:
:grinning: :canada:

3 Likes

Very different!
This is a photo of a military workshop for the repair of boots during the Second World War

even in b/w photos you can see the difference in color.
And this is a photo of modern, but not glamorous boots

And glamorous can be absolutely anything
гламур

Here are 2 reenactors that I saw in Beltring 20 years ago…

Even with the modern product dyeing, the colours still vary lot by lot. I work in construction flooring, and the floor stock for each contract has to be made from the same lot to ensure the colour uniformity, the the same colour code from the same compny and factory but from different lot are easily distinguishable when placed side by side. This is for both solid materials (Vinyl planks, linoleum, VCT, etc) and soft materials like carpets (which are even more visible).

Therefore, I don’t think they can do better with older dyeing tech from the 1930-1940. Since there is no real match between real production in the 1st place, almost anything like Army green, khaki green, khaki brown, khaki yellow etc. would work. We have a lot of leeway to colour old uniforms and camouflage.

3 Likes

This is the period of WWI.

1 Like

The Soviets also received a lot of wool and cotton material as lend lease, primarily from the U.S. Presumably this was dyed to match their uniform colors. Exactly how close the match was is hard to say and may account for some of the variations in Russian uniform colors.
Regards,Bob

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t know. Thanks for the info!

The dyeing colour variation thing is not limited to the Soviet forces. I remember on this forums that there was another post asking about the colour of the US Airborne uniform, people give example of a dozen different shades.

Found it: MIG US Paratrooper paint set. Confused. - #2 by barnslayer

2 Likes

Thanks! I was looking for that!