What did you do in your modeling workshop today?

Playing with vms pigments …

15 Likes

I have heard about “magic tools” and seen them on models (my own and others).
Is this the same method applied to spare wheels (magic wheels)?
:grin: :wink:

28d85a1865f055c0d94f9ab7e733658d0dc44c98_2_690x425

4 Likes

:blush: :smiley:

Robin, found my hidden pun on Mickey Mouse and Disney’s Magic Kingdom, you did!

AAA+

On a serious note, I have to dig in reference to see if the wheel retaining plate was bolted in place or secured with wing nuts. If wings full or half.

Any pictures of such appreciated greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

This photo is said to be from comparative trials in Germany between a Panther and an M3 tank.
I presume it was done by the Germans before 1945 since there would be very little purpose in doing it when the M3 was no longer in service (captured lend-lease tank? I don’t think they brought one home from North Africa)
Looks like a pin in the center with some kind of arm with pegs to catch one or two bolt holes on each side. I see no reason for having a central pin sticking out like this unless it is threaded for a nut holding an arm in place. The other option, without the pin, is a bar with studs inside the wheel and and wheel nuts from the outside. Note that the convex side of the wheel disc faces outward

Paris 1944:
Different position. Doesn’t look like a central pin, more like studs sticking out from the turret side. Two, maybe three studs.

annnddd the money shot:

Convex side in, three nuts on studs welded to turret side

Very few images of Panthers with spare wheels so I guess that it was “local initiatives” → make do with what’s available. The easiest solution would be two or three studs and use the regular wheel nuts.

9 Likes

The money shot is GOLD.

Thank you, probably saved me a day of page flipping with a dozen or so dusty old books :books:

FWIW - that’s possibly a 116th Panzer Division Panther with the white dot on the escape hatch. I’m modeling a 116th PD G.

Sadly my Panther doesn’t have the gun cleaning kit on the rear engine deck. That’s due to the Cavalier Zimmerit being molded for standard left side mount. Just didn’t want to bog down revising that.

Rear mounted gun cleaning kit was very common for known 116th PD Panther G’s from what I’ve seen. Sometimes the 116th PD A’s didn’t have the gun cleaning kit across the rear.

So my 116th PD G will be a replacement vehicle shipped in that hasn’t had the gun cleaning kit moved yet by the field work shop.

Edit - the OCD is bad today, confirmed 116th Panzer Division used 3 nuts to attach spare wheels.

Photo from Didier Lodieu’s, “The 116 Panzer Division’s Panther Battalion in Normandy, July-August, 1944”.

8 Likes

Finished build!!!

Its the 1/144 Revell AH-64D. I added seatbelts, many wire sensors, a rotor tie down, rails down the back, a completely scratch built 30mm chaingun, scratch built a box and accessories based on a reference pic, a scratch built Halotron Wheeled Fire Extinguisher, RBF covers, fueling hose and assorted wires and the base is based after a pic of a national guard Apache

More pics here!

Revell 1/144 Apache

21 Likes

Sweeeeeet!

2 Likes

Nice work with the pigments. the mud looks almost as if freshly scraped.

1 Like

Some basic painting on the GMC, Ireally like the combination of grey and OD

10 Likes

Slapped some white wash on my Tamiya Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf. D; thanks to @oldwarloke for the inspiration on his 1/16 Das Werke 251/1 build.

03ccca4471b40fc037fe06f5b2c5b24fabc16cab_2_666x500

eca9875a93abac956970d74ba436b9192a89adfa_2_666x500

15 Likes

Guys, what colour had the right wing position light of an F4U Corsair? Blue or Green?

2 Likes

Secured wheel based on WW2 photos

Added bow MG

Finished tool clasps

12 Likes

One of the best brands on the market, I use them more and more

2 Likes

My information is green on the right wing and red on the left wing. I was looking for that information before, so I still know it. I found it on the RC Universe website

2 Likes

02ca35cyprus
Still some way to go.

10 Likes

I finished the tracks today, now I prepare for painting what will start tomorrow. The building-part is nearly almost finished, maybe some small parts missing. That was the easy part, I hope the painting part will work as well.
Have a good time✌️

6 Likes

Thanks Marco! That’s what I also think. Usually it’s Green, only on some planes it’s Blue. So a drop of Tamiya X-25 will do the job. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Engine deck with add Tamiya PE screens, Tiger Model Design small lift hooks and Meng bolts to secure screens.

7 Likes

And as far as I know, it’s the same for boats. At least in the US.

3 Likes

Privately owned:

The colour of the light bulb (glühbirne) is hard to see from a distance.
http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/headlights1/

4 Likes