What did you do in your modeling workshop today?

Decanted some Krylon Pistachio (first attempt) for the interior of my M109A2.

Had fun getting the straw fitted to the nozzle but a piece of masking tape and off to the sink. Leaving it to off gas now.

Easier than I thought!

2 Likes

@165thspc, well Mike, that is a fair enough guess! As this does look like a skidder - but, those are articulated, which is a lot more work than I was interested in pursuing, as this project will be the load on a truck, so in a sense, I looked at it as background as this began. But, now that I’m in the the thick of it - well, it’s a project in and of itself! thanks for playing! :smiley:

@Uncle-Heavy , Robin, yes!! the correct guess!

It is indeed on its way to becoming an all terrain drill rig! I selected this for my project because I think it looks adequately strange (ugly? - and yes, even worse with the flat hood - I just couldn’t live with that), is good and complicated, and will be a good subject for plenty of weathering and wear and tear -

And, you win some bonus points :smiley: - as I am never wrong :smile:…it humbles me to share this image:

The front deck - is now largely open! When I read your comment, I of course went back and looked at my reference photos - and what I thought was a full deck, well, isn’t :man_facepalming: I was tricked by shades and shadows! Only the center portion of my example was covered, so - I removed the sheet from the side areas. As I was pondering this realized the shape was wrong too - so, out came the knife and saw and you can see where it is now. A fairlead for a winch will eventually get added to the front.

Regarding what I think you meant about the “rear pillars” - I think you are referring to the two stabilizers - well, my pillars are indeed stable :smile:, and plumb!:

While not going backwards, some forward progress too:

In addition to the mast and boom, made up some levers for the cab, and the chain driven differential feeding a capstan/windlass (nomenclature re vert or horiz orientation varies) and drill head.

OK, on we go!

Cheers
NIck

10 Likes

Looking good so far, you should try to find some “Army Painter” brand razor wire - typically used for gaming figurines, I;ve discovered it works great to replicate the razor wire bundles attached to modern vehicles.

spool it around the top of your chain link fence for added realism…

9 Likes

I would call it “designed for a purpose” :wink:
ugly is such demeaning word :wink: :grin:

1 Like

It’s a work vehicle, not designed to win car shows. Ugly has a purpose.

2 Likes

I was thinking about the “cabin”

Maybe I should have written “cabin posts” instead …

The rectangular side view of the cabin does the stylishly raked “hood” a disfavour.
On the CME-550x the rear posts lean forward which improves the looks of the whole thing.
Considering the redesign of the hood I would consider tinkering with the side profile of the cabin to “modernise” the clunky appearance it has now.
Maybe something like this?

Regarding the bonus points for the patio:
I thought it was an intentional deviation for some purpose unknown to me. Maybe some owner welded some sheet metal or diamond plate to create a work area or for some storage.
The “hood” was already redesigned so what is one more redesign after all …

A pretty red one, imagine cruising down Sunset Boulevard in a red one …

7 Likes

ATV Pope Mobile?

6 Likes

:+1:
:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Pushed the pace a little too hard over the last 24 hours from unpainted to painted & chipping. Mr Surfacer Mahogany 1000, followed with Floquil Military Color Panzer Dark Yellow thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner, followed with chipping fluid & Tamiya white for white wash.

Lots of touch ups are needed…but it’s got paint.

11 Likes

@Uncle-Heavy, well Robin, you are giving me a run for my money on this one! :smile: The original plan was to throw something together as a load for a truck, and now it’s taken on a bit of a life of its own! I tend to be more focused on other more intentional scratch builds - taking the time to uh, pay attention! In this case, I fell into the trap of building what I “thought I saw” rather than what I saw! One of the pitfalls of doing scratch projects using only pics :smile:

Alas, I did indeed go back to my collection of images and as someone might have observed, the legs of the roll cage on this do indeed slope inward - the rear legs do - so here we go;

The saw came out again! and now, the rear legs slope inward! and, I like the looks more :smiley:

I also went about making the ten pulleys. That’s 10 disks cut from .040" styrene for pulleys, and twenty disks cut from .020" styrene to sandwich in as sleeves…good times:

The honesty of close in shots…a few of these need some more sanding, representing the obvious downside of cutting them with the trusty #11 - in real life the look pretty good - still some guides etc to add. And, the cuts on the deck need to be cleaned up! :man_facepalming:

@SableLiger, yes, form follows function - the rest of the build is pretty close to the prototype - for the nose and comments about its appearance, I thought about John Deere tractors, which have a sloping nose - so the driver can better see where they are going, and I like the look:

I chose this vehicle in particular for this project because no matter it’s appearance, I think it’s interesting and will look good on the bed of a yet to be built truck.

Cheers
Nick

12 Likes

FSV FS 34087 OD and the MRV FS 34151 light green

FSV

MRV

13 Likes

Made up some coal sacks with Milliput for the lorry.

18 Likes

Well, I’m off to the surgical center, hauling the Wife for her knee surgery.

8 Likes

Damn, our coal is black.
Just kidding. Well done. :+1:

2 Likes

That truck is a beauty, Richard! Kudos! :+1:

2 Likes

Painted a few details and worked on touch ups. More touch ups to go.

Can’t decide if the main barrel in black lacquer would look gangster or stupid with winter white wash.

8 Likes

Main colour blocks in place, now need to start on detail. Still lots to do on these fellas, but its taking shape

14 Likes

:point_up_2:Wow.

FS 34087 OD for the FSV and FS 30219 brown for the MRV

11 Likes

Very sharp. I just saw a railroad modeler make some, he used fabric, “tulle.” I like your flyscreen idea. Well Executed.

1 Like

You could probably use the break, a lot of good work there!

Uh, you might not use that exact phrasing when you talk to your wife “I’ll haul you for surgery…” :rofl:

1 Like