What do you think of Apple's "Masters of the Air"?

If Hollywood is going to reboot anything then why not “Rat Patrol”, loved it when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Just watched the original, man what a cast. Sam Shepherd certainly embodied the ‘aww shucks, no big deal’ that Chuck Yeager had. And frankly the Mercury 7 were cast pretty solidly too.

3 Likes

That almost sounds like the central characters in Herman Wouk’s War and Remembrance. The dad starts out to command USS California, until she is sunk at Pearl Harbor and is instead given command of USS Astoria. One son is a SBD pilot aboard USS Enterprise, and the other son is a submarine officer who climbs in rank as the war goes on.

1 Like

When I was five, it was my favorite show. I wanted to be one of those guys, tooling around the desert on the back of a gun truck.
When I was forty, I became one of those guys, tooling around the desert on the back of a gun truck. :thinking:
Yes, of any war series, I would welcome that one the most. Maybe based a bit more on fact, like perhaps using LRDG vehicles and no Americans. That blue scarf -woah!

5 Likes

Mostly US in the Pacific, but I do remember in SS2 you could command a Royal Navy sub. I should dig it out and have another go on it, been a good few years.
GOG.com have them for sale, but their copy of SS2 is the DOS PC version which isn’t as good in terms of sound and graphics as the Amiga version. No difference in game play and they’re cheap as chips, so a good little game to download if you fancy it.

You could probably find the various versions around the internet for download, not that I’m advocating video game piracy :wink:

1 Like

CONCUR!!

I still have Disney stock, and for the past several years whenever I get my proxy votes, whatever Disney recommends I vote for I’ve voted opposite. It is disgusting that they ruined the company.

My consolation is that what ever money I make from dividends I spend on things anti-Disney.

3 Likes

Rat Patrol is so awesome! Before we moved last year and ditched cable, I only made a point of watching about 11 hours of TV a week. Weeknights back to back Hogan’s Heroes episodes, and then on Saturday night 2 hours of Combat!, an hour of that Rat Patrol, and before it got moved too late at night for me to watch, 12 O’Clock High.

3 Likes

The Right Stuff came out when I was in Air Force flight training. It is pretty inspirational.

4 Likes

I would like to see a well done mini-series on Guadalcanal, New Guinea, and maybe climbing up the Solomons chain. Guadalcanal and the Solomons combined intensive ground, naval, and air actions, not seen anywhere else that I can think of except maybe the Mediterranean centered around Malta until the Africa Korps surrendered. Diseased and malnourished exhausted American pilots climbing up day after day in obsolescent ill-maintained fighters to face the Japanese Naval Air Force which still boasted some of the most experienced fighter pilots in the world in the still formidable Zero, to try to shoot down fast high flying bombers… We should be singing songs and ballads about them.

Just how desperate the naval battles of Guadalcanal were, especially the First and Second Naval Battles of Guadalcanal in November, 1942, I don’t think even a lot of military historians realize. (Adm. Lee and USS Washington verses the Japanese fleet in narrow constricted waters!) On land, especially August and September, where the Marines had to kill the Japanese in order to scrounge enough food to eat, and Bloody Ridge, we were always on the cusp of a disaster. And to try to capture The Bombardment of October which our guys endured knowing that there was no Navy to stop the Japanese, the miniseries The Pacific touched upon those aspects but the series was too broad to really focus on it and I think failed to capture the razors edge we crawled for so long between defeat and victory.

Operation Pedestal, the resupply of Malta, would make a thrilling mini-miniseries, too.

3 Likes

I do not have Apple so I cannot watch Masters of the Air, and I’ve read and watched some of the critiques about it. Overall, I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until we know more about it. It doesn’t bother me that they have to realize so strongly on CGI. One of the guys who used to fly for the freight company I flew for, he now flies around the country in B-17s and a PBY. Apparently the day of renting out numerous warbirds for a movie is at an end.

1 Like

I got 1.5 episodes in last night. So far o really like it, not as good as Band of Brothers, but comparing to that is a fools errand. The cast of that show was just too good

2 Likes

I would second a series about Malta. That little island, it’s people and commonwealth forces went through hell!
It’s importance to the war effort is largely misunderstood and sometimes forgotten and it would bring it back to the public attention. Short of the film Alec Guinness did back in the 50’s, I don’t think it’s had any attention.

Malta itself is certainly setup for filming. A lot has been made there over the years and it’s an easy place to get to. When we flew out there a few years ago I did spot a lot of the old nissen huts and other buildings still there. So, they’re ok for the locations too. As well as all the old forts that were repurposed for AA batteries, sub bases etc.
I say we pitch this idea. Anyone know someone in TV?

1 Like

I know Robert Irvine. Not much help unless you need a really bitchin recipe using Froot Loops, feta cheese and anchovies.

2 Likes