What if...Urban Assault

Base coat, Tamiya rattle can NATO GREEN. leaving it to cure for 24 hrs to create a solid base for what’s to come. I’ve not yet applied this to the slat or dozer as I’m still undecided.

1 Like

Nice even covering… How do you get on with those Tamiya rattle cans ? I have contemplated using them but never been quite sure how they’d come across ?
I would of thought using the NATO green on the blade and slats would make sense. It will give a good uniform background colour to everything ?

1 Like

Hi John, I use their rattle cans quite a bit for base coating without issue. As long as you give them a good shake and don’t overload - multiple short incomplete passes to build up coverage, you should be OK.

1 Like

Paul, I too use rattle cans where and when as necessary; you’re spot on - shake for as long as you can, don’t rush and build up coats slowly; I would then add let it all cure for 3-4 days probably longer than really necessary but these days I don’t take chances.

1 Like

I am Just waiting for a manufaturer to produce this kit… :+1: really really nice!!

1 Like

Cheers Bert, very much appreciated sir.

Trying out a couple of swatches for potential schemes. I will try a few more with different colours. But for now…

Minded towards splinter and with grey shades rather than green…

1 Like

You know my answer Paul lol … and agree with it being heavier on the Grey tones in place of green :+1:

1 Like

I’d go with the second option, at first glance it reminds me of the US Dual-Tex pattern; either colour will do I reckon.

Keep at it!

1 Like

Both look good in the swatches. I reckon the splinter camo looks the better of the two though.

1 Like

OK then… Decided to change the base coat to matt black, courtesy of Halfords Cammo range rattle can. I know the received wisdom is to start light and go dark, but this way nooks and crannies are covered. Leaving it aside for a couple of days whilst I get on with drawing up the masks on some Tamiya masking sheet.

1 Like

Those are some good looking options, my favor (if you will allow it) goes to the splinter pattern.Your build is shaping up very nicely, looking forward to seeing the paint scheme on the model :slight_smile:

Regards,

1 Like

I use the Halfords Matt Grey primer, Matt Black and the Red Oxide primer, never had an issue with those, I swear by them. The black is a good idea as like you said, it gets into all the nooks and crannies and gives a nice little shadow in the hard to reach areas.

1 Like

Tiny bit of bleed on the rear plate but, have to say all in all I’m very happy with this…
Giving it a couple of days to cure off before starting on the filters and pinwashes. So I now need to decide on the what and how of the slat colours. My plan is to keep the finished article quite clean and wear free

4 Likes

Nice pattern really effective at breaking up the shape, though I’m not crazy about the brown. :+1: :+1:

Thank you… But… There ain’t no brown on that there vehicle… :wink:

Hum. On my screen it looks brown. The lighter "stripes look greyish tan. Perhaps the lighting or my screen.

1 Like

You should be seeing black, barley gray and insignia white… Well at least thats what it said on the paint bottles😳

Loving that effect Paul, it looks really striking and breaks up the outlines very well. Good luck on planning the slatted Armour…

1 Like

Good call o the splinter John. :+1: