What the postman brought today (AeroScale)

That’s the one I’m most excited for! It looks awesome and the reviews I read raved about how good of a kit it is

1 Like

Next project - 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk VI.

Plenty of aftermarket here, and some still to come.

Aires engines, cockpit & and nose gun assemby (nose gun assembly not in this picture), CMK exterior set (mainly for the control surfaces). Eduard masks and Eagle Cal decals.

I’m probably going to have a go at the Night Intruder ‘Wag’s War Wagon’, as it was actually operated by the RAF as opposed to the the top aircraft on the sheet which was operated by the RNZAF out of the UK. However, the RNZAF aircraft has historical significance as it took part in Operation Jericho and is incidentally the aircraft pictured in the box art. So it seems silly to use aftermarket decals for markings that are already in the box, unless they’re a significant improvement I suppose.

Some aftemarket metal gun barrels to come, but other than that, i think i’ll have a crack at this beginning next weekend.

10 Likes

Nice! Have this one in this stash. Looks like a good kit. With the all the aftermarket you added it will look spectacular. If you do a build log you’ll have a follower!

Build log is on Aeroscale somewhere mate, although it is very early days.

1 Like

Roly’s @Khouli build thread

1 Like

I don’t like you any more HA HA HA

1 Like

Told myself no more kits for a while, sprue bros had other plans with their lightning deal. Had been after a F-15 for a while but didn’t want to pay $100+

This thing is massive in 1/48

7 Likes

Terrific!!!

Congrats for that!

1 Like

They were RAF aircraft crewed by Kiwis, the RNZAF didn’t operate in the ETO.

No they wern’t.

No. 487 (NZ) Squadron was a Royal New Zealand Air Force light-bomber squadron, formed under Article XV of the Empire Air Training Scheme during World War II. Established in mid-1942, the squadron served in the European theatre, under the operational command of the Royal Air Force.

EG-T (HX982) piloted by P/O Maxwell Sparks RNZAF. Navigator was P/O A. C. Dunlop. Was hit by FlaK on the raid and its wheel collapsed on landing at base.

These facts are easily verifiable.

Sorry but you’re confusing aircrew with squadrons. The RNZAF did not operate any Sqns in the ETO. The RAF had several sqns in the 400 series, and No. 75Sqn, that were crewed by New Zealanders but were in the RAF order of battle. Those aircraft all had RAF serials. The crews were mainly Kiwis but also had other nationalities mixed in as well, most of the ground crews were also RAF personnel. The No. 75 Sqn RAF number was gifted to the RNZAF after the war in appreciation of New Zealand aircrew’s sacrifice. The RNZAF operated all their Sqns in the Pacific order of battle and all those aircraft had RNZAF serials. I served in the RNZAF for 22 years and have studied our wartime efforts then and afterwards, I also served on No 75Sqn so am more than familiar with the wartime record.

Every single website I visit must be lying…

Source from The RAF’s own history:

No.487 Squadron, RNZAF, began as a day bomber squadron but spent most of the war flying night intruder missions.

Aircraft

August-September 1943: Lockheed Ventura I and Ventura II
August 1943-September 1945: de Havilland Mosquito VI

August 1942-April 1943: Feltwell
April-July 1943: Methwold
July-December 1943: Sculthorpe
December 1943-April 1944: Hunsdon
April 1944: Gravesend
April 1944: Swanton Morley
April-June 1944: Gravesend
June 1944-February 1945: Thorney Island
February-April 945: B.87 Rosieres-en-Santerre
April-July 1945: B.58 Melsbroek
July-September 1945: A.75 Cambrai/ Epinoy

Squadron Codes : EG

Duty

December 1942-June 1943: Daylight bomber squadron
October 1943 onwards: Mosquito-equipped night intruder squadron.

The squadron was formed on 15 August 1942 and was equipped with the Lockheed Ventura (the same aircraft was later used with great success by the RNZAF in the Pacific). In Europe the Ventura was obsolescent. The squadron flew a number of daylight raids against targets in France and the Low Countries, beginning on 6 December 1942. The squadron suffered heavy losses on some of these raids, and the last Ventura raid was flown on 24 June.

In August 1943 the squadron began to convert to the Mosquito. Operations resumed on 3 October 1943 and night intruder missions began in February 1944. The squadron focused on these intruder missions for the rest of the war, ranging across German occupied Europe.

During the battle of Normandy the squadron was used to make night attacks on German transport links as part of the campaign to isolate the battlefield. It moved to France in February 1945 and continued to fly a mix of day and night raids for the rest of the war.

The squadron was also used on some of the most famous daylight Mosquito raids, including the attack on Amiens Prison on 18 February 1944, the Gestapo headquarters in Aarhus and Copenhagen and V-1 launch sites.

No.487 Squadron became part of the post-war RAF as No.268 Squadron, RAF, after a brief spell when it was incorrectly numbered as No.16Squadron.

All sorts of new goodies here since I last looked in on this thread!

Well I’ve been slowly adding to the flyboys section of my stash over the past few weeks, so now it’s time to share…

first up, some decals for the Hind in my stash that I had been wondering how to mark

I took a chance and ordered them from Ukraine in early April, and they actually arrived within a few weeks.
Next up is this gorgeous set for late career USMC Skyhawks. I can make at least two Scooters off this sheet, and possibly might acquire one more, as they have an F in the TPS grays!

then I picked up this old decal set since I’m feeling the urge to model some Yellow Wings stuff… I haven’t done that since I was a kid

and lastly this just arrived in todays mail, purchased off eBay for a fine price. It’s the old Hobbycraft molds, which arent bad at all, but it has a fabulous Cartograph decal sheet with about eight markings options.

That’s all for now :wink:

6 Likes

It’s a common mistake and many internet sources just copy and paste. There were other RAF sqns crewed by NZ airmen, 485,486 and 75 sqns also fall into this category. They started out as fully crewed by NZ personnel, but as losses mounted, they realised the same effect on towns back in NZ would suffer the same as the WW1 Pals battalions so they mixed in British, Australian, Canadian and others so the loses would be more spread out- NZ at the time only had a population of just over 1m. None of these Sqns appear on the RNZAF order of battle in WW2 but they do for the RAF.

Common? I’d say it was universal.

Fact is, that whilst the majority of RNZAF personnel served with RAF units, six RNZAF Article XV squadrons, which were RNZAF units attached to RAF formations, of which 487 was definately one, served under the command of the RAF in the ETO in WWII.

No such thing as too many hinomarus on the shelf.

2 Likes

Look what came today!

I know what you are thinking, “Did Fred fall down and hit his head again? That ain’t no wingy-thingy!” Well, sometimes you’re the window, sometimes the bug. For years I’ve been coveting Wingnut Wing’s Hansa-Brandenburg W.29:
“Released in December 2010 - SOLD OUT on 19 May 2012.”

Have you ever had one of those days when your wife runs off with your best friend and the dog and you are really upset because you really miss that dog?? These puppies go for over 500 smackaroos on Evilbay so I knew I’d never get one. Well, the stars aligned and the other day, I found one for less than that - much less - so I jumped on it like a chimp on 100 yards of grapevine. Well, it came today, or so I thought. Ripped open the parcel and found…recall the tank box? It was as if the ex came back without the dog. With sunken heart I opened the box and found…

What’s that scratching at the door? Lassie came home!

Guess I’ve been a good boy. The seller put this in a tank box because he bought it in the dual set with the Felixstone. No WNW box. But this Hansa-Brandenburg is complete and all parts still sealed.

And for the record, my wife is awesome.

9 Likes

This amazing reference book arrived today from Japan. I have both the Great Wall Hobby SU-27 kits which will be made into Ukrainian versions.

6 Likes

I’m considering doing a Su-27 in Ukrainian colors at some point too! Looks like a great reference.

I was wondering if you knew which variant the Ukrainians use and which kit would be a good match?

2 Likes