What the postman brought today (AeroScale)

This arrived for my Kinetic F-16.

4 Likes

I’ve had a few new acquisitions come in since my last update.

For my 1/48 RAF & Fleet Air Arm, I picked up these both well discounted off of their list price on the evilBay

and then these two items… scrambling for replacement decals on my recent Mig-3, I realized that I needed Red Stars in my decal stash… and the Tempest PE set will dress up the old Eduard kit in my stash

9 Likes

These arrived today …
Both for campaign builds.

For the Teens build.

And the Wild Weasel group build.

And that was how it was packaged… Luckily no damage to the box

7 Likes

Is that Amazon again? It’s not often I buy anything from them, but when I do I mark it as a gift so they will at least attempt some packaging.

1 Like

Yes Mr Bezos… I have had things like that a couple of times. But no damage so all good :+1:

2 Likes

That Lindberg set looks interesting! I think I’d get that for the novelty of the Flycatcher alone! Who on earth came up with that name :rofl:

Unrelated to modeling, but this is how my A500 Mini arrived just before Christmas. A clear plastic bag with the address label hanging off. Just ÂŁ120 worth of computer.

I should’ve complained, but at the time I was having trouble getting Royal Mail to redeliver one of my partners presents that had gone missing, so that took priority

3 Likes

That’s bad

2 Likes

I think I was lucky that one didn’t go missing.

1 Like

The Flycatcher is indeed a novel subject. As far as who came up with the name? Your guess is as good as any regarding one of your countrymen’s naming thought process. In any case, these will be a neat little pair to tackle one day. Rigging should take longer than the basic builds… :wink:

2 Likes

Good luck with it!
I remember reading that the Spitfire was very nearly called the Shrew. Thank god common sense prevailed on that one. At least Hawker had a policy of making their aircraft sound exciting.

Gloster was pretty good with the names as well.

Fairey tended to name their naval aircraft after various fish: Swordfish, Albacore, Barracuda, etc. so I suppose that the Flycatcher, being a carrier based type, may be one of those.

1 Like

Alas my trusted and faithful LHS Modellbau Baier had to close down in November last year so I had to order online and this beauty arrived today at my door … :hugs:

Had it on pre-order for 2 weeks now and I guess this kit won’t be a long time residend in my stash.

UA

7 Likes

I can see the fish and seabirds link with naval aircraft, but the flycatcher is an anomaly. It’s a small woodland bird. Maybe they tried to link it with the birds agility to catch flying insects!
We also had the RAF flying the AW Siskin around the same time, so maybe it was a fad.

Nice! I’ve been interested in seeing one of these since it’s announcement.

For those that like the F-111 but don’t have the space.

Probably won’t work for the campaign but interesting nonetheless.

4 Likes

Not much, just something to add on the Su-7.

3 Likes

I built the Flycatcher, Bulldog and Gladiator in the pre-Lindberg Life-Like packaging. They ain’t Tamiyagwa but they are respectable kits. If Lindberg includes the rigging diagrams - string 'em! My second Gladiator I rigged with a single length of thread. A couple years later at college, brought new girlfriend up to my room and showed her one of the pride of my collection - the Gladiator. She dropped it. The rigging did its job and only a landing gear strut broke off.

They are nice models.

4 Likes

In that case allow me to share what I received from the postman on Saturday.

7 Likes

I remember Mitchel’s complaint about “Spitfire.” Len Deighton wrote in Fighter: The True Story of the Battle of Britain, Mitchell did not appreciate the RAF tendency to alliterate aircraft names with company names, i.e., Fairey Flycatcher, Bristol Beaufort; Vickers Vixen, Hawker Hart, Vickers Vildebeest, etc. He did not like “Spitfire,” saying the RAF had given his brainchild a ‘bloody silly name’. For a nimble biplane designed as an flying predator attacking flying prey, flycatcher is a pretty cool name.

Now the Fairey Firefly…

2 Likes