What the postman brought today (Armorama)

Wow, what a difference with the old Tamiya💪🏼

3 Likes

The box art sold it for me on this one… looks great. Particularly like the camo.

Although i’m not super excited about the gate locations on the sprockets?!?!

10 Likes

@barleeni David, the Takom Pz III/Stug III “A Trees” contains unpleasant “surprise” unless Takom revised the trees. The torsion arms have a sloppy fit and extra care is needed if the wheels are supposed to sit level. The wheels don’t fit together correctly either until the modeler does a bit of sanding. The tracks & track runs have a lot of ejector pin marks on the inside face

It’s nothing that can be worked around but in my opinion truely sucked for a new era ~2020 kit.

Comments based on my experience building the Takom Pz III ausf N. in first ~60 or so posts.

11 Likes

Hey, Wade. If I recall correctly, you pointed me at an article detailing a severe problem with Takom Panzer III hull pans. Am I remembering correctly and did Takom ever fix the issue?

Takom’s Mid Production Jagdpanzer 38 (no interior) also has a lot of ejector pin holes in the tracks. I received one for Christmas.

2 Likes

Doug, I’m not sure if Takom felt the issue merited being addressed. Here’s where the Takom new Pz III N with winter tracks was discussed. Many of the multitude of the original kit’s faults are mentioned in the thread.

The CAD drawings made it appear some hull issues might be but no suspension issues were being addressed. If I recall correctly, one of the experts pointed out several dimensional errors with the Pz III/Stug III hull original Takom kits which may or may not matter to various folks.

Building my Takom Pz III, I suspected it was full of dimensional errors because it “looked wrong” in certain areas, that was later confirmed by knowledgeable folks (Ron-Owen Hayes) on Missing Lynx. If I hadn’t spent some time at Aberdeen looking at a real Pz III, probably wouldn’t have noticed.

2 Likes

Thank you, Wade, for that link and additional information.

I have an old Dragon Panzer III Ausf. M, built but unpainted. It is very hard to compare dimensions from photographs but in terms of road wheel placement and spacing, my Dragon Panzer III looks very similar to your Takom Panzer III Ausf. N.

I keep asking about Takom Panzer III based vehicles because they are fairly cheap and look well done to the untrained eye. In my opinion, if the people at Takom improve their accuracy while maintaining the current price, they will become excellent all-in-the-box models.

2 Likes

I think Takom has very real potential to hurt some of the other manufacturers “feelings” and bottom line. Takom despite some goof’s seems to be working hard to get better and improve. I admire that in an upstart company and hope they are all sorts of successful in kicking sand in the mighty Dragon’s face.

3 Likes

Motrak Models 3oz spray can rack. Some assembly is required.

9 Likes

Received Wed 24 Jan 23:

Contains a nice 9 X 12 color print. An 89-page history book with tons of photos. Separate booklet of markings for the decal sheet. Instructions are a clear 18-page method of building.

12 Likes

Quick question I have the artillary towing truck from above and the 12 pounder that goes with it what are my best color options as I usually don’t venture into WW2 subjects.

1 Like

@Armor_Buff Hi Wade, thanks for the heads up. I haven’t forgotten about some of your other posts lurking around the forum about Takoms Pz. IIIN, so I am prepared…… I actually have Takoms refreshed Pz. IIIN as well, the more recent one that comes with winterketten.

I have had a look in both boxes, the “A” sprue in both the Pz. IIIN and the Stug. IIIF boxes are absolutely identical as far as I can see, and yes, the road wheel halves don’t seem to mate together without a little sanding.

The tub for the Stug IIIF though is a completely different tub from the Pz. IIIN.

The suspension arms into the tub are a little loose, and for sure will need some careful checking of alignment when assembling. I wouldn’t be too critical of Takom on this…. my RFM Sturmtiger which i’m 70% through the build of has a very pronounced rocking motion to it. I very carefully checked the suspension arm alignment whilst building… but built one side at a time and FAILED to check the alignment between sides :triumph::triumph::triumph:

Check out this short video below, I think from memory this is the only existing Stug F these days. The Takom kit looks very much similar to the one in the video, except Takom has the longer L/48 vs. the L/43 barrel of the video example.

6 Likes

Where did you find these?

1 Like

My apologies!
I’m from Russia and the company that makes these products is also from Russia ( WinModels). And you and I have mutual problems with purchasing goods from our countries. :slightly_frowning_face:
I found one store that could sell you this, but they don’t have this item at the moment. There is another one that seems to be able to do this. If you write the city where you are, I will try to write to them and then give you the contacts.
But most likely it’s easier for you to look at this product, which is functionally identical and located in the USA: LMG BB-05 AFV building berth for plastic model kit, 1/72-1/35, storing system | eBay

And it costs about the same.

3 Likes

The company that produces these laser cut stands is called Laser Model Graver and they are in Ukraine. Order directly from them. https://lmg.in.ua/ Make sure to scroll through their entire catalog - they have dozens of brilliant items. I have the turntable, the AFV stand, and the track jig and they’re all fantastic tools to have. The prices are really low, too. They also produce model transport boxes, paint racks, and tool organizers. Great stuff.

4 Likes

Matt, now I won’t be able to buy any more kits in February as my whole “defense budget” is about to get spent on “logistical infrastructure”.

On serious note, there’s an excellent looking tool rack, I can’t wait to order…me to LMG

5 Likes

Agreed. I really, really didn’t get on with either of the Takom StuGs I have started. One went in the bin, the other is on the shelf of shame. Noted all you describe, they weren’t fun.

2 Likes

Picked this one up today. Its an older book, but the pictures are great. Wish I had this 14 years ago when I was building the Tamyia 88.

9 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I will check them out. Thank you.

1 Like

The boat from China arrived recently and offloaded. Cyber-Hobby orders marked in red… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

…and all sorts of goodies, even Tamiya badges from the land of Dragon’s…

…best of all, Cyber-Hobby collector’s items that were NEVER to be re-issued, are being re-issued in Dragon boxes! I didn’t drink the Dragon/Cyber-Hobby kool-aid so I’m happy to see this!

Even sweeter, finally landed a Dragon Puma which somehow had always eluded my grasp. Never imagined, buying three Dragon kits again…ever.

Rounding out the shipment, an RFM Challenger.

Despite the notoriously bad fit issues for the 1942 STZ T-34, I’m stoked to add another favorite Soviet tank to the stash.

16 Likes