What the postman brought today (Armorama)

Angel, are you using a specific reference book to pinpoint the exact factory, production date, and production features of your Panzer IV models?

Your ability to pin down each prototype with such precision is really impressive.

4 Likes

Thanks Doug!

My primary references with regard to Panzer IV are mentioned in this topic:

Further- I often use a book written by Kaloyan Matev-“The Armoured Forces of the Bulgarian Army 1936-45: Operations, Vehicles, Equipment, Organisation, Camouflage & Markings”, with plenty of HQ pictures of Bulgarian Maybachs, info on delivery batches, Fahrgestellnummer and vehicle distribution.

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

5 Likes

I saw the second book from time to time and thought about to buy it, but it’s quite expensive. Do you think it’s worth the money?

2 Likes

Tucker-Jones is a british defence analyst, he wrote many books and magazines, maybe does he have access to state-archives. I saw some books from him and he often has pictures I have’nt see before

2 Likes

Your Bulgarian Pzr IV collection is nothing short of incredible Angel… Looking forward to seeing more built soon :+1:

4 Likes

Today I wanted to order some small books and magazines from the shop I found. The store is in Gettysburg, but when he wrote me that the delivery-costs are nearly 200,-$ ( the books/magazines are ~70,- ), I did’nt want to make the deal. I’m ready to pay the price, but that’s somewhat exaggerated. When the guy from this forum sends me a box with more weight then this can have it was half the money. Really disappointing, he has a big offer of interesting books and I’m sure that I ordered more but so the search goes on🥺

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Angel! I own at least a dozen books on the Panzer IV but they are now dated. The books by Craig Ellis are new to me and look very promising. I am very curious to see a modern examination of the subject.

However, I will purchase the tome by Kaloyan Matev first. Books like that, filled with new research on a rarely covered subject, always end up being great reads and resources.

Your projects are always inspiring and I look forward to your future efforts. Thanks again for the book recommendations.

3 Likes

Had these two arrive from Squadron Mail Order.

1/144 Pig Models Parseval - Sigsfeld German Drachen Observation Balloon

Squadron/Signal The Complete DUKW Historical Reference

7 Likes

Hi Marco, couple of points to consider on value of the second book. It was worthwhile as I don’t have anything similar in my library. Likewise, hadn’t seen a similar book before to browse. The two books provide a “time & place” feel that’s typically missing with a consistent color aesthetic.

Model wise the books may help with diorama settings, ground work, dust application, uniforms, crappy field kitchens and uniform fading. Nothing says “replacement” in Africa Korp quite like a new unfaded uniform on a pasty white boy in a group of faded uniforms and tanned faces. :flushed: While sharp eyes might notice the contrast in black and white, it’s hilarious :joy: :smiley: :smile: in color…even thst funky Agfa color of eighty years ago.

(Soap Box :package: Comments and a long winded ramble follow below )

1. ~$49 US “new” is high price for a novelty book to me. So I checked Amazon, found a very good condition used copy for ~$40 shipped. There were good condition ones for ~$35 etc.

2. Majority of the pictures are people and places focused not hardware and equipment.

3. The book provides an aesthetic view filtered by propaganda photographer’s eye. It’s eye catching and fresh after all the black & white pictures over the years. Makes all that is old and stale seem new again.

BUT…naturally the pictures aren’t going to tell the whole truth…just carefully filter it.

Case in point is Rommel himself who appears multiple times in the book. All of the pictures in my opinion support a carefully cultivated image of the consummate “brilliant” professional solder diligently working.

I don’t think there any photos of the 250/251 (whatever) radio halftrack & crew that were decoding the British Army messages and feeding information to Rommel. That was the actual core of Rommel’s perceived brilliance.

These photographers clearly roamed wherever they pleased so I’d think one of them probably had an opportunity to snap pictures of such or similar details etc.

1. I felt a thrill similar to a kid on Christmas opening an unexpected present :gift: getting to see color pictures from the other side. Basically looking at them feels like breaking a “taboo”.

2. Weak willed individuals in my opinion should probably steer clear of books like this one or at least limit their exposure. I’ve know more model builders than you’d expect that became ensnared by the aesthetics of this sort of material.

Anyone happily whistling along with German WW2 marching music to the Horst Wessel song :musical_note: when working on the latest project, probably needs to turn it back a couple of notches.

(Off soap box)

2 Likes

Thanks for that detailed answer, you must be a very patient man👍
First I have to say that the horst wessel song is not that popular in germany, at least not in my circle of friends and acquaintances😉
Your right, Rommel got lots of informations from his radio reconnaissance unit. It stops shortly before the battle of El Alamein because the british army destroyed or captured the whole unit with its material. They were criticized short time before by an officer who does’nt know their worth for move back and so Rommel lost his " eyes and ears " because the commander of the unit was ashamed for the critics.
I hope that’s new for you, like you give me lots of informations I did’nt knew before✌

2 Likes

Few more.

5 Likes

Yes, and that is pure information gold! I’d never exactly understood why the radio unit was close to the front.

Easy now to imagine a near clueless officer barking some very poorly reasoned orders that put the radio group in that location.

Thank you for the kind words. My wife would probably say he likes to discuss these these topics a lot. She’s actually happy I joined a model club recently…lol :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

4 Likes

You can read the full story in the book " Die Wüstenfüchse- mit Rommel in Afrika ", english title " The Desert Foxes ", written by Paul Carell. There are other interesting facts about the Desert War, for example the english attempt to kill Rommel with lots of details.
There are other books from Carell ( real name Paul Schmidt, a german diplomat in the third Reich ) about the russian campaign and the Invasion in France. I really like the books, lots of interesting storys and very good to read.
My girlfriend thinks like your wife, I guess it must be like that :joy:

5 Likes

Yes, you are right. So much gorgeous things to buy over there but the post ratings are unreasonable. And now the same begins with Great Brittain. I payed €30 something for Masterclub tracks, 10 for post and now €9 extra for customs &€#@#€ (wat stands for schei***)

2 Likes

My quest to finish old projects continues…

The Nashorn suspension is for a Sturmpanzer IV entered in the Unfinished Business campaign.

The WE210 tracks were purchased to upgrade a Tamiya M3 Grant, to be built and painted as an easy practice project. Since then, I learned the hard way that Tamiya models require significant modification to fit Miniart tracks. They are too wide. Also, I do not have any spare 5 spoke road wheels for the project. Therefore, the project is canceled and these are going into storage.

7 Likes

It’s not really cheap to get things from there, a man from this forum sends me 4 books from the US, delivery costs 90,-$. That was private, I thought that shops get better conditions and was really shocked when he wants 200,-$ for nearly the same. I’m sure there are shops with customer-friendly conditions, but I have’nt found one of them until now

2 Likes

Picked a few bargain kits from the Queensland Model Hobbies Expo this weekend…

BUT…

Missed out on a Revell Starfury, going for AU$100. (theyre around $200 - $250 online). I’d nipped back to the carf to drop off my collection and in the 5 minutes it took me to do that and get back it had gone

:sob: :sob: :sob:

3 Likes

Off the back of my Meng Merkava Mk IV M, here comes another IDF AFV from Meng.

Need a display case for this - does anyone know if someone produces a off the shelf case that will be long enough?

8 Likes

Trumpeter makes one for a truck that is 14 inches long but probably too narrow.:

Look for non-model company issued products designed for truck models like this:

These are Aussie $ prices too , not USD. $2 Aussie is roughly 1 GBP.

2 Likes

I think Tamiya’s ‘Type F’ case would be suitable - it certainly can take a JDSF Type 90 + Mine roller, and I can’t imagine a Namer, based on a Merkava Mk III/IV chassis would be any bigger.

3 Likes