What the postman brought today (Armorama)

It looks as if Ace Ventura delivered it!

1 Like

Had this book arrive today. Been wanting it for a while now.

I have only thumbed through it but there is some pretty interesting stuff featured.

Thanks,
Randy

5 Likes

It’s nice to see the Academy Kit ^^ I’m looking forward to your great work.

1 Like

Finally the engine kit for my KET-T has arrived. The PE set is still somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. Dammit, they’re holding up my build! I need those parts and I need them now!

10 Likes

Very nice Matt, that will be a super addition to an already great build :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Time to get your Purple Heart medal!

Recieved the IBG models Chevrolet C15TA kit, looks like a good build subject. Right up my alley been a ww2 allied vehicle.

Also got the tanker for my current dio and the FC MODEL TREND 3d printed churchill grilles. All the grilles are opened and very well done. Just in time to be installed.

5 Likes

If it builds up anything like their Otter, it’s a really nice kit, but…

Pay close attention to the build up of the chassis. It’s easy to invert some of the frame members and end up with alignment problems. Same goes for the louvers for the radiator.

Take your time and dry fit everything and you’re gonna be quite pleased with the end result.

2 Likes

Thanks @Canmedic. This is my 1st IBG kit, it looks crisply molded and well detailed. Are there any upgrades you’d recommend? I see the tyres are molded into 2 pieces but may clean up well. I have found a few good period pics of the vehicle in use.

I built mine OOB. I don’t remember there being anything that was really lacking in terms of detail but I built it over a year ago so the details are a little fuzzy.

You’re right about the wheels but they aren’t bad by any means.

If yours is sharing as many sprues as I think it will, the only thing you’ll want to consider is stowage items. The Otter only came with a few Enfields and some canteens.

1 Like

@Nickpal01 Based on what one of my club mates has said (he is building his right now), it is a nice kit, but has a few issues. Take care with the chassis to make sure it is aligned properly, and the rest should go together fine.

As to accuracy, it depends how picky you are. Just build it OOB and enjoy it if you want. Don’t read on unless you want to start counting rivets…

I warned you…

I have built the Otter and did a lot of correction work.

Just like the Otter kit, the tools in the C15TA are closer to 1/48th scale than 1/35th and very noticeably small. You have to replace those and the rack is likely then too small for correct size tools…

The Otter kits instructions said to use the wheels on sprue N, but they are the wrong size. You needed the ones on sprue M for the correct size in that kit. Not sure which ones the instructions tell you for the C15TA, but probably the same. I have heard the ones on the N sprue may also be post war tread - a different tread to the box art which is what they probably should be based on photographs.

The front fenders on both are the same parts and are not quite correct. The front section is too short and the outer flange over the wheels should be a more prominent taper. The height of the doors is wrong - too short, just like the Otter’s were.

The front grill plate is too narrow at the side as the slope of the whole grill plate is too close to vertical. Other minor issues are the placement of the loop in front of the door and the head light covers.

Here is a comparison I put together. The guy that built the kit used resin wheels, so ignore that.

I have not looked at the interior. The Otters was fairly good, but with some prominent omissions.

4 Likes

@petbat i shouldn’t have read on!! Damn. This will be in the stash for a while but will probably be built OOB. Thanks for the info though. I cant say I’ve had a good look at the instructions but will be having a look tomorrow.

I think I saw some resin wheels and stowage for it but would have to double check. From memory I think there’s a decal option for the 79th armoured division included in the kit.

2 Likes

I will not show the pictures, it might be too shocking for some of us. But after the mailman brought the new kits yesterday, my wife took a big hammer and started bashing the kits I stored. She was yelling that if I wanted to get some more kits I should save space so I could buy some more kits… She only wanted to help me… PLS Heelllppp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The photo etch for my massive KET-T project (MAZ-537 base) got here today. With 6 frets of PE and brass bolts, it’s another kit in itself almost as massive as the KET-T!

6 Likes

@SSGToms Run away, run away…

I am on the last tedious run of little u shaped pieces to fit to the Aber screems on my Tiran… one fret of pain. You are a mad man.

1 Like

Peter, when it comes to modeling, I totally lost it a long time ago…

1 Like

Who makes this PE set?

1 Like

Voyager Model

Scored literally a small squad of pristine Pactra Acrylic A48 Flat Clear bottles.

Long disconnected and a pet favorite, a major score for the paint stash :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi there!
I have been reading your posts and pics of your finished kits and I can only say that I would be too embarrassed to show mine.
Long story short, back in the 70’s when I was a lad, I built several Tamiya AFV ‘s, and Monogram 1:48 planes and everything in between. My skill level was mediocre at best and to get hobby supplies was a nightmare. Well, life happens, joined the US Army, got married and retired as an E-7 after 20 years, 2 months, five days and a wake up. With 3 deployments under my belt (Desert Storm 90/91, and two tours in Iraq). I always wanted to go back to modeling (the kits, not me), and since I’ve been working from home in this pandemic and my weekends were somewhat free I decided to put some effort, I bought a compressor, a couple of airbrushes and enough paint, pigments and washes to start rolling… (so I thought).
I’ve found, the hard way, mind you, that this hobby has moved from the kids’ toys aisle at the department store to something akin to a new career. So, I was ready to go full throttle and decided to start with a Meng Leopard 2A6, bad mistake! Let’s say the results were not very promising. So after this debacle, I decided to bring down the skill set required and started working on Tamiya products, which In my humble opinion, they practically build themselves. I honesty believe some of the kits out there are over engineered and over priced.
I really enjoy reading your posts and learning from your experiences, and I’m looking forward to see you in these forums.
Big question for you guys; I’ve been working on modern afv’s and I’ve been thinking adding weight or ballast to the completed models. I believe that a tank must have some weight to look more muscular, do you guys do that, or am I slipping’ a track here?
Regards,
Luis

5 Likes