What's your oldest bottle of paint?

What’s lurking in the back of your drawers? No, not hemorrhoids! Old paint bottles! I just found this while cleaning out a box in the back of a drawer - this is OLD, and it’s still good!

Why did I ever buy gloss pink?

4 Likes

I’ve got a couple that go back to around 2000. Mine tend to dry up and I chuck 'em. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have a few Tamiya large bottles from the mid 80’s, and some I still use. And deep in my stash lie a few Pactra and Testors bottles from the late 70’s - no idea if any have working paint tho.

Lots of Humbrol enamel from the mid 80’s

1 Like

Bunch of old Tamya large bottles from the 80’s-90’s, Poly S , Poly Scale and Floquil acrylics and a couple of only first edition Pactra enamels (but these are kept mostly for visual appeal)

1 Like

Humbrol, dozens of bottles from the 70’s . All still good which is not true for the acrylics I bought 5-10 years a go. Long live enamel!

2 Likes

Ditto,
Humbrol, Floquil, Polly S and I am sure there are more going back to the 70’s

Cheers
:beer: :robot: :beer:

1 Like

Hmmm…A bottle of Ral Partha acrylics Red Brown, probably from the '80’s. Got real thick and almost dried out in the '90’s, but I added water and stirred (not shaken) and revitalized it. It’s still a half-bottle, and I’m still using it. :+1:
:smiley:

What’s even more amazing is the prices on some of these old bottles of paints if the price sticker is still attached and legible.

That small bottle of Testors Enamel paint used to cost forty-five cents USD back in the 1980s! :smiley:

Matt,I have no idea !! Maybe some MM 15 years old.But 19 cents, that’s pretty cool,what do those bottles go for now.

1986 ! I started 1/32nd figure painting long before my return to plastic. Big Bear Hobbies in Milwaukee had the complete line of Humbrols that went so well with the Osprey uniform books.
But I am oh so old that I remember when Matt’s square bottle was a dime along with comic books, bottle of Coke too and candy bars were a nickel. Monagram kits were a buck, AMT cars were $2. Those same cars are now in the high $20’s ! Same molds, different decals and box art. Talk about maximizing your investment !

Floquil railroad colors lacquer from the early 1970’s is about all I have that’s old. I tossed all my really old Testors and Pactra enamels years ago. Most were dried up but I found acrylic to be much easier to work with.

Cheers,
C.

2 Likes

Got some old Pactra, Polly Scale, and Floquil paints that still work, along with some really old Humbrol.
Ken.

1 Like

I have a box full ,haven’t used Humbrol authentic colours (enamel ) paints for years .
But i remember that the German pale yellow was the paint to get for your German armour .
I still can smell the my old hobby room i had in the attic (the odour when you cleaned you airbrush)
Oud

2 Likes

I have a couple bottles of Pactra International and Polly S colors from the early 80’s, and a couple tins of Humbrol Authentic colors from the late 80’s. Plus a tin of Roco Minitanks Gelboliv of unknown age. All I know is that it had a very thick coat of dust on it in the shop where and when I found it…

1 Like

Nothing as old as some of the mentions here, but I do have a bottle or two of Testor’s Model Master paint with a MJ Designs price tag form 1996.

Not exactly paint but I came across an ancient (and tiny, nickel in photo for size ref) unused tube of glue. Tamiya used to supply these with their kits in the early 1970’s. I think this came in a motorized panther kit.

Cheers,
C.

6 Likes

@creading, wow Charles that brings back some memories! I’ve seen a few of those in my time!

Regarding oldest still useable paint,
Humbrol from the late 1970’s. :slight_smile: Also Floquil RailRoad from the late 1980’s.

1 Like

I have a bottle of pactra flesh that I have had since I was a kid. Dates to probably around the early 70’s. I just keep it for nostalgia :wink:
“Q”

2 Likes

I have a bottle of “Original Military Colors” paint by Imrie Risley.
Probably bought in the 1960’s at Polk’s Hobby Shop NYC.

1 Like