What's your oldest bottle of paint?

I still have many Humbrol from early 80’s,some time i add some thinner and they are still good as new

Sorry for the rez.

I have this Humbrol 46 I bought in 2020. This is supposed to be orange in the current catalog, but the colour is exactly the same as on the cap, some deep pink.

I learnt that it is some very old stuff I purchased.

1 Like

There are some Humbrol tins from the mid-late 1970’ies lurking in the paint drawer …
Edit: and the large group of tins from the 80’ies and 90’ies mentioned in my previous post near the beginning of this thread which I had already forgotten about … senility comes creeping up on me …

I have some Airfix paints hidden around still and I dread to think when they stopped making that.

Ah, it’s the price that caught my eye! 15 cents. Not $5 per bottle. I have old Testers like that of silver, brass and gold that I still use. Their metallics are still good.

This bottle of Pactra Acrylic Flat Clear is about 25 years old. It’s my oldest Acrylic paint.

All of the conventional wisdom says acrylics have short shelf life of maybe five years or so or in ideal conditions ten years.

However, this bottle of Pactra is just as good as new. Smells exactly the same, sprays the same and worked the same yesterday on a new model.

My old Pactra enamels still work just fine!
Ken

I still have a ton of Floquil Model RR colors that I husband and use only for special projects. Rail Brown and Box Car red are getting in short supply, though… :frowning: Still, lots of others on hand, though. I really like Pullman green for very early, interwar US OD and British WWII SCC 15. I save what I have of that now just for those two kinds of subjects.

I finally gave away all of my old hobby enamels, though. Mostly Model Master paints from the '80s and early '90s, but also a fair number of Revell and Humbrol in tins from the '80s and a handful of Pactra Military Colors from the '70s (in the little square bottles with the Pactra “Paint Drop Logos”).

I did this when I finally converted over to Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing. (Except when I use my precious Floquils! LOL!)

I do have a fairly large number of Citadel and Games Workshop and Andres acrylics from the '90s that I still use right along with newer bottles from the same companies. They’re perfectly compatible with Vallejo Model Colors. You do have to keep the bottle caps clean so they stay sealed up with those, or they will dry out.

1 Like

Vintage Precious Floquil:)

Definitely Pullman Green is one, Antique Bronze, Weathered Black, Rail Brown & Boxcar Red plus a few more.

3 Likes

Panzerwaffe waffenfarbe?

Well stated.

1 Like

Yikes, last thing I need to do is go digging through my old paint stocks, but these kind of threads and questions are one of the fun things that I live for on these sites. I know I’ve got some testers and pactra from Howard Gibson, which closed in the early to mid 70s. I started painting models in 1971 or 72.

Yep…some inventory of mine goes back to the 70’s. Are they good? I don’t dare look! :triumph: LOL

You confused it with nail polish ?? Lol

I do too ! Just threw out all of my humbrols. About 50 of them; have no idea why I kept them so long. Been using Tamiya for about 20 years

Started painting in the 60’s w/a Badger brush and cans of propel. Have a bottle of Floquil Atlantic Coast Line purple that is in the old, old square bottle dating to the 60’s. Never did paint much ACL power.

1 Like

Panzerwaffe waffenfarbe?

“Ja, in den 1980er Jahren waren Floquil Rail Road-Farben der beste RAL-Farbstartpunkt.”

With apologies via Google Translator for German & English.

With only Bruce Culver’s Panzer Colors I,II & III and Tamiya box art as guide, here’s what I used for German Armor Color back in the 1980’s and into the early 1990’s. When Floquil Military Color came out I switched to those.

Paint choices available were Testor’s, Testor’s Muddle Master & Floquil RailRoad - so pretty much everything ended up being Floquil RailRoad:)

There were always rumors floating around the hobby shops & model clubs in the area about a list of Floquil RailRoad Colors and a mix guide to make the correct RAL colors. If such a list actually existed no one ever shared the information.

Looking at the colors, I think it would be possible to get pretty close.

Panzer Gray Schwartzgrau (RAL 7021)
Mix of Weathered Black & Reefer Gray

Red Oxide Primer (RAL )
Red Oxide Primer

Dark Yellow Dunkelgelb (RAL 7028)
Used these and mixed etc to suit my taste.
Depot Buff
New Image Gold
Earth

Olive Green Olivegrün (RAL 6003)
Pullman Green

Red Brown Rotbraun (RAL 8017)
Used these and mixed etc to suit my taste.
Tuscan Red
Roof Brown
Road Tie Brown

Of course none of it right but at least it was sort of consistent.

A few years ago a local hobby shop put Floquil RailRoad on clearance and for nostalgic reasons, I cleaned out their paint section.

SP Green aka Armor Olive Drab

1 Like

You threw them away?! Madness! Best damn enamels out there!

Yes they were great but smelled heavily; but mostly because I changed over to Tamiya and hadn’t used them in about 15 years. I still use their gloss, satin and dull cote which I think are excellent.

I do have a few extra color enamel paints in the same tins as humbrol but haven’t tried them yet. Their oily steel is still the best think though and used it a lot til I ran out. Anyone ever use extra color ??