Wheels of the Union Jack and Tricolore - Oct '21 to March '22

@AussieReg
@cosimodo
Thanks gents !
I’ve made a start on this Stone Age kit - 1968 !
52+years old - the real car had only just begun racing in 1967.
The kit is not without some problems and most of them stem from Tamiya’s philosophy at the time - part scale model / part motorized toy . The battery box occupies the space where the driver’s legs would be and consequently you cannot see anything forward of the dash panel in the cockpit , so no pedals , tub floor etc.
The monocoque tub on the actual car was so narrow that it needed two wells let in for the driver’s elbows. Oddly Tamiya included the right one but not the left , so scratch building the left one became necessary.
Perhaps as a concession to working steering the dashboard is overly thick ( with the attendant sink marks everywhere) , it is located too far back and the steering wheel is centered when on the real car it was offset to the left to make more room for gear changing.

the left well

offset steering wheel.

the included right well and it’s insert

the scratch built left well.
More work yet to be done on these.
To correct the problems with the dash I surgically removed the instrument bezels and the switches with a razor saw and will make an overlay of sheet styrene.
I also sawed off the mounting lugs on the tub sidewalls that were too far aft .

The very toylike underside . I’ve begun to fill all the holes for the on/off switch, battery door, etc.

Thanks for looking.

1 Like