Which M47 kit to choose?

About every other month for a while Colpars in Aurora was hosting a swap meet.
That’s one of the benefits to going to shows as well.

The Tamiya one has the decals included.

What a shop!

I have to apologise for giving you the wrong info on the kit. I asked someone in my club which one they used for the film, and he advised the M47 E/M as the one to use, but I can see he was wrong. It is rare for him to be wrong, but there it is.

Thanks Gino and everyone for pointing it out.

As to the muzzle brake:

The third one in the Takom diagram matches this one…
Even the model in the movie:

1 Like

They appear to have removed the barrel evacuators in the film? But it doesn’t appear possible to obtain a gun barrel, metal or otherwise in that config in 1/35?

The good thing is that fake snow will be in fact authentic on this one, since they had to use fake snow in the movie aswell.

3 Likes

It would be easy to cut the barrel at the rear of the bore evac and add a piece of styrene tubing the correct diameter to replicate the barrel from the movie.

I don’t think this is the case; indeed, I don’t think any iteration of the M47 in 1:35 contains decals for the film version, that said, I admit to not having the Tamiya one in my stash, although Scalemates would appear to bear me out.

'Shouldn’t be a problem to be honest as there’s plenty of choice of aftermarket Werhmacht-type markings.

It does appear to have upgrade molds, etc.

This kit is a Tamiya-Italeri Series collaboration. The kit itself is a significantly updated version of the original Italeri M47 Patton combined with Tamiya figures, machine gun parts, plus new West German markings and parts, as well as Tamiya instructions. The M47 Patton began deployment in 1952, but was rather quickly superseded by the M48; M47s were thus supplied by the U.S. to friendly nations in the west such as Italy and West Germany.

• 1/35 scale plastic model assembly kit.
• Various upgrades and new parts bring this kit in line with modern standards.
• Major changes: Weak part joins have been strengthened; omitted details such as the canvas gun shield cover, tow cables and more have been added; periscope guard parts and machine gun have more accurate shapes.
• Features new individual parts to depict West German smoke dischargers and Jerry cans.
• Plastic plate included to recreate the late production M47 rain guard.
• Tracks are now recreated by paint and cementable belts.
• Includes Tamiya torso figure and parts for the M2 heavy machine gun, ammunition cases and more.
• Comes with two marking options, for West German and Austrian vehicles.
• M47 parts are a product of Italeri.

1 Like

Fair enough! 'Happy to be proved wrong!

1 Like

However, if they are usable is another matter, as they look to be full size numbers, not the “mini” numbers on the tank that the movie shows.

1 Like

The screenshots show the film models have the original engine deck.

My goodness. It took 31 posts to confirm what I said at the beginning of thread about the engine deck. I’m no armor expert, but I’ve slept at a Holiday Inn Express a time or two. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It took all these posts for me to trust and believe in you! At least it was a good conversation, and will come in handy for the next modeller. I think I am going to go with the Tamiya / Italeri hybrid. Sounds like they re-did the molds, Tamiyazed the instruction manual and the tracks are better.

Have you looked at the Tamiya kit built up kit yet?
I don’t think they redid the molds but simply added a new tree or two.

Tamiya does not re-do Italeri molds. Tamiya gets the sprues from Italeri, add in their own sprues for upgrade or extra parts, and produce a new box and instructions. They do not mold them themselves as far as I am aware as that would require Italeri sending them their steel molds and I doubt they would do that. Remember, these kits are primarily produced for the Japanese home market where Italeri does not necessarily have a large presence and it is a good way for them to get their kits in the market and for Tamiya to offer subjects they do not produce themselves.

1 Like

• Various upgrades and new parts bring this kit in line with modern standards.
• Major changes: Weak part joins have been strengthened; omitted details such as the canvas gun shield cover, tow cables and more have been added; periscope guard parts and machine gun have more accurate shapes.
• Tracks are now recreated by paint and cementable belts.

I am just going off of what the box says. I have also read stories of the Italeri tracks falling apart when handled due to age.

They did add 3 sprues, Tamiya’s new M2, and the smoke launchers and other parts to make it a West German tank.

IDK for sure, but I guess I will find out.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Italeri tracks longevity. I have some Italeri builds from the 80’s on my shelves still going strong after all these decades.

Takom’s kit also has the later style road wheels, as seen in the movie stills posted previously. The Italeri kits wheels have the stepped, doughnut-shaped insert inside the rims to prevent mud from building up, as seen on early production M47’s. Later in the production run, the insert was eliminated. The M48 wheels were similar.