Why oh why not a Saracen...?

Hey all, we see countless T-55’s, MRAV’s, Leopard’s, and gawd knows how many Tigers, but why hasn’t anyone made a really nice British Saracen…? I remember having one made by Dinky Toys waaaaaayyyyy back when during the late fifties early sixties. It came with a Centurion and transporter all in beautifully cast white metal and British green. I loved that Saracen, and would love even more if someone like RFM, Meng, or even Border would mold one…sigh…

3 Likes

Scratch build one. As soon as you finish it, Meng or RFM will produce one!
Ken

5 Likes

I am assuming you mean in 1/35th scale styrene. There are braille scale ones and a couple of resin in 1/35th.

They have been promised a couple of times from memory, but no-one came through. Here is Dragon’s tease from about 5 years ago:

I am hoping Gecko wakes up on this vehicle, given they have a penchant for the less mainstream subjects and especially British vehicles subjects. Even Airfix, given their Ferret on offer, should jump on a Saracen.

7 Likes

Yea, but all those companies are probably too busy doing the next paper panzer.
Ken

6 Likes

Not all of them; Dragon has some more early 2000s kits to reissue first.

3 Likes

Then they will start on the paper panzers! :grinning: :smiley:
Ken

4 Likes

The modelling world is not the same it once was… boring paper panzers, Tigers and Messerschmitts are ruling.

2 Likes

And don’t forget (a better) Saladin and Stalwart!!!

2 Likes

David J Parkins

This in fact is the old Dartmoor Models kit; I have it in my stash and doesn’t look that bad at all:

(image from Scalemates)

A mix of resin and white metal.

DJ Parkins does quite a few other interesting models too, including figures; his service is excellent, kits come well packaged and promptly. Prices are no more expensive than most resin kits I feel.

2 Likes

Mk-2

Mk-1

1 Like

Then there is the KFS Alvis Saracen Large, pricey but superb quality

1 Like

I’d forgotten about KFS; I often use their pics as a reference when I’m building in 1:35.

1 Like

Can’t have too many RFM T55s in my book!

1 Like

To be fair, around 20 years ago we also asked “Why oh why not an M114?”, so who knows? It must be due soon, probably just when I tackle my resin one.

I did one in white metal from BW Models who has been retired for a few years now. I don’t know who he sent the moulds to, i also did one in styrene. I drove them back in the 70’s. I also drove the Stalwarts, of which i made a white metal one from BW Models.
I believe after the Brit Army finished with them they were sold to the Saudis

I will vouch for Accurate-Armour kits. Never met a resin kit I didn’t like, unless it was from AEF Designs.
It may be a little pricey for some, and some modelers really seem to have an averson to resin. But think about it - the injection molded kit finally comes out, and one sage “influencer” will say “Hopefully there will be resin wheels for it soon.”
And then there will be the PE upgrade. And AM decals (A-A always has several nice options) And by the time you’ve done all this, you’ve spent more than the A-A kit would have cost, and probably settled for a kit that is less accurate than theirs. After all, British vehicles is their niche.
I’ve considered one for Berlin.

2 Likes

My experience with AA kits is less than sterling. Filled with air bubbles, non-homogenised resin, warped parts that could not be bent back to shape, etch where the acid had eaten into the actual parts and left holes, etc. Yes they were from castings decades ago, but even so.

I am glad yours were better than mine.

They have improved …

2 Likes

I would be happy to see a 1/35 Saracen.

Some Saracens in 1/32 scale

OK, OK, I’ll see myself out …

12 Likes