Wild Weasel 2023

I am in too with this kit:

and some after market goodies.

2 Likes

God, now I’m tempted to enter lol …

1 Like

One I would love to see built. I picked one up a couple of years ago for about half price from Amazon. Saw how big it was and put it back in the box! I need to clear a lot of display space before I tackle it.

My build will be the old Monogram 1/72 F-105G, backdated to an F-105F.

And I’ll be finishing it as Lt Col Leo Thorsness’ MoH aircraft (brief details can be found here ), from this decal sheet.

This was kindly provided to me by @Stikpusher and covers quite a few Vietnam War SAM hunters, both Navy and Air Force. Thanks again!

3 Likes

I have an F-16 kit. Is there a particular configuration that makes it a wild weasel? Or is it just based on what it’s loaded out with?

1 Like

Needs to be a block 50/52 CJ. They have amongst other things different targeting pods

1 Like

The Wild Weasel variant of the F-16 is the CJ model. It carries a dedicated sensor pod under the intake, some electrical wizardry on the inside too. The pod is smaller and more rounded than similar and more common Lantirn or Sniper, which are used for laser designation etc … Typically armed with a pair of HARM’s.

Some details can be found here

1 Like

I see. That’s a little late for my interest in the F-16. I bought one to do a Desert Storm bird.

I guess the Wild Weasels in Desert Storm would be phantoms? I guess the Apache’s that took out the radar sites on the first night are probably not quite wild weaselly enough?

1 Like

Yes we were still using Phantoms in that role during Desert Storm.

1 Like

Now that’s an interesting question. While the aircraft itself is not designed for, or equipped, the mission that night was to sneak in and take out Iraqi air defences. So in that respect, one would qualify for the SEAD role.
I’ll say yes to an Apache from that mission. What does everyone else think?

1 Like

Why not. But we are talking about a very specific loadout (extract from Wikipedia):

During Operation Desert Storm on 17 January 1991, eight AH-64As guided by four MH-53 Pave Low IIIs destroyed part of Iraq’s radar network in the operation’s first attack, allowing the attack aircraft to evade detection. Each Apache carried an asymmetric load of Hydra 70 rockets, Hellfires and one auxiliary fuel tank.

1 Like

Despite being already started (just the cockpit made), it’s a good chance to finish my EF-18G, so let’s go with it!

2 Likes

Sounds great to me. Well within the scope.

So, now what have I gotten myself into? I was kind of thinking out loud, not trying to find the boundaries for this campaign. I’ve never built a helicopter. Do I want to do that? Is there a good kit of that Apache available?

I think I want to do a build for this campaign, and I was kind of heart-broken that I’d have to do another Phantom (such a terrible hardship - ha ha), but now am I going to find myself building a helicopter???

2 Likes

You need an AH-64A kit, Academy does one in 1/48 I think but you need to source out decals. The new Takom 1/35 releases are of later variants.

Maybe a Tornado ECR is a more appealing build?

1 Like

Don’t forget the ALARM armed Tornado’s in the Gulf.

Don’t know what scale you work at @phil2015 but Revells 1/72 GR.1 has everything you need in the box. Decals should be easy to find.

3 Likes

Was the F111 ever used in the WW role ?

1 Like

The EF-111A Raven was used in the electronic warfare role. Revell have a 1/72 out and I’m sure there’s a 1/48, Academy or Hasegawa maybe?

I’m allowing jammers. By definition they are suppressing air defences.

1 Like

There are a few 48s… Just found a Hobbyboss 1/48… Review I read was an A++ one … Now I’m tempted lol…

1 Like

The hobbyboss F-111 series is supposed to be fantastic. The only thing that has turned me away (for now) is the size

1 Like