Wild Weasel 2023

The reviewer did sing it’s praises… And he said the Raven is massive…

1 Like

Now I am in a real dilemma…

Space is obviously a factor sadly …

After looking around, the Hobbyboss 1/48 Raven comes in at £44 and over 48cm long, 40cm wingspan… That’s big …

The Revell 1/72 Raven is £19 and comes in at 32cm long… And I could also get a 1/72 Tomcat for £25 which is also pretty hefty in size … As a comparison, the Revell 1/72 Phantom comes in at 25 cm…:thinking:

1 Like

Of the 3, only the Raven would qualify for the build unfortunately. Although that would depend on which Phantom variant?

If it helps to decide, when the wings are swept back on the F-111, it’s not very wide. Huge span when swept forward though!

1 Like

Sorry my fault … Dilemma was between the 48 and 72 Ravens…

The 72 Tomcat would be for the Teens build, and the Phantom was one I did a while ago…just used those as comparison sizes…:+1:

1 Like

Ah right, now I get you.

Yeah it’s big enough in 1/72.

A raven has some appeal also. There are Desert Storm decals available in 1/48 also. It’s not the cost of the kit that is an issue but the cost of the room addition needed to accommodate it…

3 Likes

If it helps, I took some shots of my Revell Raven I pulled out of the stash. Some of the photos didn’t turn out great, I’ve lost the light tonight and the plastic is quite glossy and doesn’t photograph very well.

Most of the panel lines are raised, don’t know if that’s a deal breaker or not? It does have engraved vents and wing flaps and slats. I think it might originally be a Monogram, it certainly has that feel about it.

The decals look fantastic on the sheet. One marking option is for a Desert Storm aircraft. It has a radar kill tally on the cockpit side!

You get a lot of plastic and a big model for your money!

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Ok, decided I am going to pull the trigger on the Revell 1/72 Raven… As much as I would love that 1/48 monster, the space needed for it is the deal breaker sadly …

1 Like

Cool!
Looking forward to seeing it built.

1 Like

And changed to going … :+1:

2 Likes

Brilliant!
Hopefully we’ll get a couple more to get the 10 we need to go.

I was hoping to get some ideas for medals together this weekend, but unfortunately my laptop has been a bit uncooperative. Seems to take it forever to do anything. I have a 30 year old Amiga A1200 and an older A500 that work perfectly. But a laptop that barely 3 gives me nothing but trouble!

I’ll check going too! I’ll hop in with the F-16CJ

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing your build. I’ve got that one too….the teen fighters build will be a test run for it.

1 Like

I was planning on doing it for the teen fighters but then this campaign popped so I switched to a F-18F for the teen fighters

2 Likes

And yours is the 1/48 kit, right?

1 Like

Yes sir, the F-16 I have is 1/48

2 Likes

Trigger has been pulled.

6 Likes

Count me in !

I hesitate between the F-4G of meng models, the F-105G from trumpeter in 72th scale and a gulf war EF-111 of hasegawa boosted with aftermarket (72th scale)

2 Likes

Did France field any SEAD aircraft during the Gulf War? That could be fun.

1 Like

Got some AK paints today… The U.S Modern Aircraft Grey’s 1980s to present… Set 49

For the F111 Raven and the Tomcat for the Teens build…

2 Likes