Willys Jeep 1/24 Dual Build - Fire Pump and Farm Hack (plus a bonus Military Rebuild)

Time to start things rolling on my next dual build, because I just can’t sit still :rofl:

Something a bit different this time around, I’ve had a pair of Italeri Willys Jeep kits in 1/24 scale lined up for a while, plus a Hasegawa kit I started quite a few years back and never quite completed.

First up is the Fire Pump kit, which I’m planning to do as a clean museum/display style build.

Next up is a standard military kit but I will do this one as a beaten up farm hack, similar to the reference image here but not quite as wrecked.

CJRef01

And lastly the Hasegawa kit in it’s current state. I went way overboard back then with the dry brushing of metallics, so I will carefully mask and respray lightly to get it back to a mostly clean base colour. Then I might do some light fading and weathering for interest, but mainly clean and original.

There won’t be much progress for a while, just some tinkering while I wait for glue and paint to dry on other builds.

As always, please chime in with feedback, comments, critique and advice along the way, I’m all about learning about the vehicles as well as improving my skills.

Cheers, D

7 Likes

Good deal. I always love a good jeep build. A couple points on them though.

The actual fire Jeep is a CJ2A, the first civilian Jeep. As such, it has larger headlights in a now 7-slat grill as opposed to the MBs 9 slat grill, turn signals, external fuel filler, a tailgate, and a few other small changes when compared to a military Willys MB, as the kits are.

The farm Jeep is a CJ3A, which has all the above changes and added a heavier suspension and larger tires, 7.00 x 16 as opposed to the MB and CJ2As 6.00 x 16. The CJ3A also had a one-piece, taller windshield as opposed to the split windshield in earlier versions.

I’m sure they will look great. I’ll be following along.

Here is my display of military Jeeps from a recent show. It goes from the original Bantam BRC-40 to the last Willys M38A1. The rest of the US Army 'jeeps" have been built by Ford (M151 series) and AM General (GM, HMMWVs).

7 Likes

Hasegawa Jeep? I’ve never seen one of those. Built the Tamiya 1/35 centuries ago, all that’s left is the MP and some gear from the trailer. :wave:

1 Like

D,
I’m just more then impressed that it’s not some kind of Chevy build. Naturally, I’ll be following along closely.

Gino,
Your knowledge of the Jeep branding is really outstanding. And your 7 jeep display is more jeeps then I’ve ever seen in one place before. Love to see some close ups of those jeeps.

joel

1 Like

Thank you. I still have to fill a couple holes. I need to do an original Willys MA and a Ford GPW. I have the kits to do them, just need to get to work.

Ask and you shall receive.

Bantam BRC-40
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/186841.aspx

Willys MB Early
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/152026.aspx

Ford GPA

M38 / CJ3A
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/168426.aspx

M606 / CJ3B
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/149737.aspx

M38A1 / CJ5
https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/185171.aspx

There is this one too. Jeep in a crate.

3 Likes

Joel, is it possible that Damien is building a FORD in there somewhere? :wave:

2 Likes

It is possible. I can’t tell by the kit pieces, but Ford did build the Ford GPW, which was the Willys MB with a couple of changes. Willys initially couldn’t build them as fast nor in as large a quantity as the contract called for so Ford was also contracted to built them. Also, the stamped, 9-bar grill was a Ford feature that was found to be easier and quicker to make than the welded bar Willys grill.

Ford GPWs can be IDed by a rectangular upside-down U-channel front cross member, while Willys MBs have a tubular round front cross member. Also many of the parts on GPWs will have F-script cast or stamped into them. Lastly, the impression for the rear toolbox opening button on a GPW were square and round on an MB.

1 Like

Oh, I thought that Ford changed Willys’ stamped 9 to a stamped 7. I also saw that Ford managed to get the Ford signature stamped into the rear panel on a number of units. :wave:

1 Like

Guys,
Sure looks like D has a few Jeep experts tagging along. As for a Ford engine, I should only be so.

joel

1 Like

Fantastic work. I’m already considering hunting down that BRC-40 kit. :wave:

1 Like

Actually both Willys and Ford had their logos stamped onto the rear of their products up until summer ‘42. At that time, the War Department outlawed manufacturers’ marks on any piece of military equipment. Both had to remove them after that.

Willys Script

Ford Script

4 Likes

OK, I’ve got the Miniart BRC 40 inbound. Couldn’t find the US flavor, but there was a British one available. Now I gotta get D on the hook for colors of RAAF desert uniforms for Libya 1942. :grin: :wave:

2 Likes

Great to have everybody on board already, and so much info being shared is wonderful!

@HeavyArty , superb display there mate, great stuff! I’ve got no shortage of reference and inspiration there to help me through. I’m definitely no Jeep expert, but I will be learning a lot as we go here no doubt.

@md72 , I’ve built a couple of Fords in the past, and survived, so I’m brave enough to have another go. I will check the parts details and see if there is any indication of the heritage and let you know.

@Joel_W , always great to have you on board my friend!

Cheers, D

1 Like

Yeah this is going to be good esp with @HeavyArty 's info

1 Like

D,
Like I said earlier, I know almost nothing about Jeeps other then what I’ve seen on TV and in the Movies. So my only contributions will be modeling suggestions and ideas.
joel

1 Like

Let’s have a look at what we get in the Fire Jeep box.

Cover page of the instructions. I will post the instruction steps as I go.

Clear sprue and decals. The decal sheet is a bit crusty, but I wasn’t planning on using any of them so no loss here.

One black sprue with chassis, engine and drive train, tyres and seats, plus a few odds and ends.

Two red sprues, one with body parts and rims, the other with the firefighting equipment. Obviously the soft top parts are redundant, a relic of the original standard Jeep kit.

Makes me scratch my head sometimes, I will be assembling the nice red parts, covering them up with primer, then painting them red :rofl:

Cheers, D

3 Likes

In terms of the plastic, the Italeri military Jeep (to be built as a civilian farm hack) has 2 main sprues identical to those in the Fire Jeep.

The clear sprue is also the same, but this kit comes with markings for 6 scheme options. I won’t be using any of these, but being in 1/24, they will be great to go into the decals spares box.

What this kit does come with which will be really useful, is a 40-page colour booklet full of walkaround images, service history and specifications. A few sample pages below.

Please let me know if you want to see any more of the pages.

Hopefully I will get started on the assembly soon.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

That booklet is a very nice inclusion.

D,
That book is a great idea. I’d love to see something like that for all car kits. I’d even be more then willing to pay extra for the kit with the book
joel

1 Like

I spent a couple of hours putting together most of Step 1, some of Step 2 and Step 4. on the Civilian Jeep. Absolutely lovely kit to assemble so far, not fit issues at all (which makes a pleasant change from some of my other current builds).

Dry fitting the dashboard, hood and engine to check for any issues, all good!

Cheers, D

4 Likes