Winter Sherman

This is a little side project. I have never made a vehicle in winter camo so this will be my attempt to do that. The kit is Tamiyas M4A3 105mm Sherman and I built the kit in about three hours. It is OOB and I don´t intend to do any corrections or detailing to it. What I will do is to try to create a small Ardennes vignette with a winter camoflaged tank and some figures. The figures are a mix of Tamiya and Miniart and has been slightly converted. There is a possibility that this project will be binned if I screw up too much… Painting starts tomorrow.

10 Likes

Now that’s FAST! Well done!

Looking forward to following along.

3 Likes

No kidding that’s quick. That’s like building to enjoy and not obsessing on details. What joy, how dare he!

7 Likes

:joy: This is not about the build, but rather if I manage to come up with something that looks like a white wash.

3 Likes

Use an arts/crafts acrylic paint, like Folk Art, and thin it down. Brush apply with a brush that approximates the size of a 1/35 6" paint brush. Just pretend you are a tiny guy brush painting the model! :smiley:
If you Google pics of US tanks during the BoB, you will see tanks covered in white sheets. some with random strokes of whitewash, and some completely and neatly covered in whitewash. Applications could be done by paintbrush, pushbroom, or bucket loads just thrown onto the tank.
:smiley: :canada:

3 Likes

As Biggles said; I just used children’s white Tempra paint. The first couple of times I tried it I did not like the effect so I washed it off with water before it dried and started over.

2 Likes

Snow covered M4A3, barely visible, but it could work.

2 Likes

I have a pretty good idea about how I want my Sherman to look like when finished. :blush:. I also have personal experience in how white wash is applied after serving several years in the Artic, painting on that white camoflage every autumn and washing it off every spring (usually in June…) :nauseated_face:

Today I have been rather effective, getting on the basic OD paint. I used Vallejo US Olive Drab over a coat of black primer. The figures and tracks also got a shot of primer. Tomorrow the fun with white wash will begin.

8 Likes

Hehe! fun times… Until you have to scrub off the white wash…

7 Likes

And when do you apply the next coat of whitewash, September, October?
Ken

2 Likes

Around September… :confounded:

1 Like

Seems like y’all should have done the opposite. Paint the vehicle white and then add a greenwash during the summer. :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Common sence in the Army? That will be the day :laughing:

9 Likes

There’s a pic floating around somewhere of a Pz lV during the first winter of Barbarossa with chalk scribbling all over. A bit off-topic as I’m pretty sure US forces didn’t have to resort to that!

1 Like

Painting is going well so far. I airbrushed the basic pattern of the white wash and applied most of the paint with a small sponge. I mixed the paint about 50/50 with retarder which gave me plenty of time to work with it. A stiff paint brush was also used to make som streaking in the paint to simulate brush strokes. I chipped the white wash a bit and also painted some «damage» from driving through brushes and trees.
I´m pretty happy with the result so far but the paint job need some touch ups and blending before it is finished.

15 Likes

Tracks and decals on. The tracks are «rubber band» style, but pretty good. They will need a drop or two of superglue to be formed/fit to the return rollers. The decals went on without any issues. They will need some weathering to blend in though.
Next step is to add some mud, finish the machine gun and some more detail painting. So far I have enjoyed this kit. It is perfect for beginners with figures and a lot of stowage. Out of the box it can be turned into a nice model and it has a lot of potential for super detailing.

12 Likes

That really turned out well with just airbrushing I have tried with sucess a couple of times using the hairspray method.

1 Like

That is a very pleasing application of worn whitewash on a well painted model. I am also rather envious of your build and finishing speed.

2 Likes

Added some mud to the running gear. It is a mix of AK terraines dark earth, dry soil, water and white glue.

8 Likes

Started on the stowage. No, it is not finished. Yes, the tank has a gloss coat.

14 Likes