Winter Sherman

That’s a great looking Sherman in winter camo Erik! Great job on the winter white wash and weathering. I have Shermsn 105 model that I’m kit bashing ( started several years ago) that I plan on doing a white wash on and yours is a great example for me.

3 Likes

We used to have a saying, “the US Army… 200 years of tradition unhampered by progress” :blush:

6 Likes

The Tank is more or less finished. It miss a bit of snow (and perhaps some mud), but that is something to be added when the base is finished. To wrap up the build process this is a kit I would recommend to a beginner. It is easy to build, have plenty of stowage and some pretty nice figures. If this was not a test project I would have added at least after marked tracks and done something with soft details like grab handles and stuff. The only thing I added was some stowage from the spare box, otherwise the tank is built straight OOB.

Now onward to the base and figures.

16 Likes

Congrats Erik, she looks great. :+1:

Look forward to seeing the base.

3 Likes

Very sharp looking Sherman!
A++

2 Likes

you’ve done a fantastic job on that sherman, it could almost be heading for the battle of the bulge!

2 Likes

Thank you for the nice words guys. Sometime it is fun to build something and for once not use a lot of time on research :laughing:

I started making a simple base from a cheap picture frame, some foam and air drying DAS clay. The rough outlay took about an hour to «sculpt». The German paratrooper is from an ancient Tamiya set and is converted to look sort of dead. I cut him to pieces and put him back together with Magic Sculpt a couple of days ago. Perhaps not my best work, but he will do… I was actually surprised that I had some German soldiers in my stash since I´m not much of a WW2 modeller. I have no idea how they ended up in my closet, but they have probably been lurking there for 30 years… However, now the clay need to dry for a day or two before I continue.

I made a simple sketch first, just to get an idea about how it should look. Use your imagination and add snow…

The base so far

5 Likes

Great job looks great.

1 Like

I have done a little work on the base during the weekend. I used some turf and static grass to form a forest floor and painted it in several skades of brown. For snow I used AK snow micro baloons attached with diluted white glue. It still need a little more I guess, but I don´t want to over do it. Next step is to make som fir trees.

13 Likes

Looks great! :snowman_with_snow:

—mike

2 Likes

Love it! That looks great. The base you made really puts a nice finishing touch on a great model.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. The base is about 50% finished. And the tank need some snow as well.

1 Like

Been painting a few crew members and the assault team during the last days. I will assume they are about 40% done. The figures are a mix of Miniart and Tamiya. The Tamiya heads are pretty good but the bodies have a rather soft detailing which make them hard to paint. The tank commander to the left looks like he has an extra chromosome… Lucky for him he has a pair of binoculars. Miniart did not do a great job on that mold. The only reason I used it is because he is wearing some cool winter gear under his helmet. The driver to right is in for some major surgery (I have not told him yet) to fit in the drivers hatch. I´m slowly getting there…

6 Likes

Painting crew and assault team continues. I also prepared some personal weapons for paint this evening.

8 Likes

Excellent build on the Sherman and the whitewash turned out great. It has a good faded where its needed look and the whole thing sits nicely on the base. Really nice work :+1:

5 Likes

All the boys have gotten a gloss coat and the assault team has armed them selves. Next step is a wash, some more detail painting and slings for the weapons. A final dull coat and they should be finished.

7 Likes

Looking good and always a good addition to a dio base to add some movement and scale

2 Likes

Thanks John, I normally dont like to use figures in “combat posture” since it is hard to make something believable. However, this is a “use what you got” project so it is what it is…

2 Likes

Crew and assault team finished. The result is ok, but nothing more.

6 Likes

They get my vote … I’d be very happy with those Erik :+1:

2 Likes