WIP - T72 M1, Lion of Babylon, Iraq

Thanks for your kind comments Jesper!. I need retouch and paint some details, later I will add chipping, scratches, filters, washes, etc. Although I have checked many photos of the tank and not all of them are badly treated or scratched and they are in passable condition.

Regards!
Rodolfo

Sorry but you reversed the sprockets and return rollers.
Sprocket are in the rear not in the front…
It’s not a Tiger tank :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for your observation :flushed:, the custom of building tigers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:. fortunately the wheels are not glued :roll_eyes:

More pics!

Painted wheels, lights, Infra, machine gun, spare tracks and tow cables; next step, coat of MIG Satin Lucky Varnish.

Regards!
Rodolfo

5 Likes

Hello friends!

More pics!

Filters to the old style: I used Humbrol paintings thinned with Humbrol/Enamel Thinner, Cream for all tank, Matt Random for hatches and wheels and Matt Desert Yellow for bins, the bottom of turret, grenade launchers and interior sides; with this, the armored has slight changes in color.

Regards!
Rodolfo

4 Likes

Hello friends!

More updates!

Chipping with Vallejo #70822 German cam.black brown and washes with A.MIG enamel wash brown, Oils earth and white, and Humbrol dark-brown thinned with enamel thinner (Humbrol). Next step: Wheels and tracks and final details in general…

Regards!
Rodolfo

5 Likes

Lookin Good! love the detail. other than the tank and other things, it kind of looks like the tank from “The Beast”

1 Like

It is turning great with the weathering.

Olivier

1 Like

Armorsmith, I couldn’t agree more. I think that it personally looks great, and we can’t really get at Rodolfo like that. I think the tank has good looks to it and great weathering.
overall, it really is fine work.

4 Likes

Thanks for the support. Been modeling for 50+ years and don’t understand why folks can’t/don’ want to remember that we all started somewhere and learned as we went. The Rembrandt’s among us are few and far between.

2 Likes

yeah. we all have had ups and downs in modeling, and this model shouldn’t be called a down. we all put lots of work into our models and really should support each other, not say

2 Likes

Hello friends!

Thanks for your kind comments and support Olivier, DVSand and Logan!.

I have survived 2 heart attacks, I am hypertensive and diabetic, I have problems with my vision but even so, I think I do not do so badly. I have fun building and painting; When I was younger, (now I have 59 years old) I competed only 6 times winning 4 1’s, places and 2 second places, the years go by and my health deteriorates more, I hope to live several more years and continue enjoying my hobby.
One of my works was going to be published by IPMS / USA but I could no longer send the final texts due to health problems, another work was published in Brazil (Hobby News 2004) and I could not continue due to the same problems, I stopped for 4 years and since last year (September/2019) I back to modeling.

About this tank, I could do something else and upload the grenades but I preferred to leave it like that, but okay, since the guy got upset, the turret changes from moditiation to a “what if”. :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy:

More pics:

I used a simple method for the tracks; using Vallejo paint; German cam.black brown, yellow tan and pigments, quick solution and nothing complicated. I need to give a retouch after mounting in the tank.

Regards!
Rodolfo

4 Likes

Agreed, and no one has seen a pic of every T72 produced, so although the SGD’s maybe slightly out of position, can it be proven 100% ? - no it cant. Would they still work in that position, yes they would. Does the overall tank look good ? - yes it does and Rodolfo should be happy with it. Any constructive comments should always be welcome, however there is no need to be so blunt about it. Its looking good.

Actually, to be really nit picky 2 of my 3 main points were factual and not opinions.

1. No one has seen a pic of every T72 ever produced or field modded.
  2. The SDG would work in that position as long as they are wired in correctly. SGD’s and MBSGD’s are only positioned to the front as to allow a vehicle (usually an MBT but any veh really if they are fitted) to fire a pre determined angled spread of smoke to give cover to a vehicle that is withdrawing.
    The only opinion was a constructive on the build that was based on the vast overall positive feedback for the subject from the comments posted.

Have fun with those sand castles :grin:

Rodolfo, Is this going onto a base or a dio or will it be just a stand alone one ?

I’ll reopen this topic after some tidying up

Please.
Keep it civil.
I’ve got better things to do than tidying up discussions gone unfriendly

The worn and chipped paint looks great!

Thanks for your kind comments John and JC!. Maybe in a future I will mount it in a Diorama.

Work finished at: Lion Of Babylon

Regards!
Rodolfo

I’d lighten her up a little bit. Saddam’s tanks were very weather-beaten. Maybe a mist of buff/flat white.

Thanks for your comment Dick, the tank was finished some days ago, you can see it at: T72-M1

Regards!
Rodolfo