Workin' on the Railroad 2024

If I was to build the Cyber Hobby Schwerer Plattformwagen Typ SSy that comes with a Pz.Kpfw III, would I be obligated to build the ‘III’?

I ask as I just built a dozen III’s at once a couple years ago and am currently finishing two Stugs so I’m a little burnt-out on those. Plus, I would like to focus on achieving a good look on the ‘wood’ platform as well as making a base to replace the one provided.

For this campaign? The railcar by itself is fine…

1 Like

Oh good. So here is my start pic:

And where I ended up by dinner time:

I’ll be back on it after I finish my Spitfire for that campaign.

5 Likes

Fast start.

My students are testing this week so I de-sprued everything and cleaned them all up while monitoring them (I teach online) so assembly went quick. Plus the kit itself isn’t all that complicated. The hard part for me will be making the ‘wood’ look woody.

I have the same issue

Yes, but your kit is itself much better than Dragon’s basic kits.

Cool! And I just ordered a Revell Big Boy from Scalehobbiest.

Jim

So here is where I am with the Plattformwagen:

I just put on the decals and will upload load the final pics after I seal everything.

And since I have some time on my hands approaching I was thinking of starting another:

5 Likes

Nice looking wood.

Built. will prime it tomorrow.

3 Likes

Well, since that didn’t take long should I go for a third?

This is another combo kit with a Takom Jagdpanther. The flatcar is a Sabre kit but apparently without any PE; just the basic kit. But it has more pieces than either the Dragon or Trumpeter kits and looks like a nicer tooling.

I have a fourth railway specimen I could also do but I will take care of these three first.

1 Like

You’re gonna need a bigger layout :slight_smile:

1 Like

Early model builder

1 Like

Guess what?
Plastic is being cut:

This is the difference from the other plattformwagen:

4 Likes

Boom, he is going!

So, what happened is I finished the plattformwagen and thought, “I have a Kanonen und Flakwagen, a Panzerjagerwagen, and the railgun Leopold built already and just a few more kits left so why not just finish the bunch?”

So. My built rolling stock are dispersed across three shelves that were originally for paperback books but I shifted the books and co-opted the ones at display heights so I have a row of Pz I and II subjects with the rolling stock underneath.

My plan is to replace the three shelves the railcars sit on with one continuous shelf, upon which I will have bases made for each kit that will look as one when smooshed together with the rails lining up, but separate under the cunningly placed static grass for easy transportation as necessary.

tl:dr it should look like one continuous train when done. The Leopold however will be moving to a new shelf over my head to the left of my PC station over my Sd.Kfz 251’s, on it’s own railway base with its crew hopefully completed.

To take its place with the cars on the new mega shelf I will be building the BR-52 (Trumpeter 00210) when all the smaller cars are done. I hope to have the shelf installed this week followed by making the railroad track diorama sections.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about doing something very similar with all of my Schwerer Panzerspahwagens, a Leopold, and a Karl plus a few flatcars with various loads. They certainly don’t fit “together” but I like the idea of all the railcar type vehicles on one long track. When that time comes, the idea of them being able to separate is a very good idea.

Mike

Plattformwagen has its base coat on. I will begin the wood treatment next.

5 Likes