Wow you've got a great figure!

Personal, I don’t paint eyeballs on a 1/35 figure you will only see it on macrophotography and it is mostly a lot of frustration to get it right.

2 Likes

Working on, basic camo from a Belgian Airborne early late 70 start 1980.
Trying to get a right balance between the colours and the scheme.
Have to work on the colours as such, and the light and shadow on the Figure.



5 Likes

Ok lads, now, we’re getting somewhere! I’m at the stage where I can attach the right arm. Got some filling to do so, I’ll update when I can.
G.

7 Likes

Looking good, guys!
@ Jan. Oils or acrylics?
@ Lazarus. Are those Vallejo acrylics on your bench?
Watching with much interest. :sunglasses:

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Got a little work done on the Alpine GI today. Assembled the Thompson M1 and added the left arm. :hammer_and_wrench: The cigarette he was holding was broken off in the package, however, that won’t be an issue as this separate figure vignette develops…:bulb:

Let’s just call him ‘Kilroy’ for now.:grin:

Happy figuring!

6 Likes

Mike, that Alpine GI looks pretty decent. Can’t wait to see what you do with it.
Yep, workbench full of Vallejo’s. I own one tube of oil paint. Burnt Sienna, for wood grain. A few AK enamels here and there but, acrylics all the way for me.:grin:
G.

1 Like

A little more on the AT Gun Squad.

I made the AT Gun a little more stable by gluing the gun-trails and the elevation/traverse mechanisms. This will make mating hands to grab-handles a whole lot easier from now on.

By now, you were expecting arms, hands, and grab-handle progress. Sorry, not today… Today was pocket removal (x10) day. 🪚 While adhering to the reference image as much as possible, it was inevitable that those chunky cargo-pockets had to go! … Think I’ll leave the jacket bottoms. TBD. :thinking:


Before.


After.


Image for reference only.

And today’s BONUS score! While rummaging around the stash-yard, I came across these little beauties: German Breadbag M31 (Brotbeutel Modell 1931). Think I’ll be able to convert them into Gas Mask Pouches as seen under the left arms of the crew.

And in case you’re wondering, here’s a related link referencing said Gas Mask Pouches.

3 Likes

Right lads, it’s starting to come together now. The smock has the base coat on, shaded & highlighted and ready for the camo. Decided to go with’plane tree’. Everyone seems to do the ‘oak leaf’ so, I thought I’d be different. Only question, summer or autumn? Normandy or Arnhem? Decisions, decisions…….
The leatherwork is also done, just a glaze of sepia ink to finish but, that can wait until last.
Now, I’ve got to think about the base. Got a nice slab of plaster doing nothing, so I think that’s going to get used up…
G.

9 Likes

Leather work looks very nice and worn.

3 Likes

Started long ago with emails, have used oil for some years, but only using acrylics the last 10 years.
I think you can do everything with acrylics after enough practice, the problem is when you used to some medium and you changing to another. When it’s not turnout to the result you wont, you mostly returns to the medium you feel comfortable with.

In acrylics there so many brands all with a lot of range in colours, you will find something that fits your needs.
For the moment I use Scale 75 or Abteilung 504 dense acrylics for my figures, still using AV and scale 75 model colour for the base and some models i make.

2 Likes

the smoke turns out to the perfect base to work on, looking forward to see the next steps.
Whatever you decide to use as camo.

1 Like

Finally got mine primed and initial light coat of skin.

6 Likes

working on the camo




5 Likes

@Lazarus I agree with John on the leather work, what colors did you use?

1 Like

Ok mate, all Vallejo’s. G. Camo black brown as a base. Wash with black. Very lightly, drybrush with flat earth then, even more lightly, drybrush with khaki. Still needs the stitching doing yet and a final glaze of thinned sepia ink to enrich the colour. I’ll do this after I lay down the camo.
All the best,
G.

3 Likes

Thank, I have a Alpine French tanker with a leather jacket and I think that color combo will work perfect, execution might be a different story.

3 Likes

No problem mate. As I said, just go very lightly on the dry brushing. With the 2 colours, you’re going to be showing varying degrees of wear. Think of where the jacket will get the most wear and use the lighter colour there. I find with drybrushing, if you scrub out most of the paint on a damp lint-free tissue, you get a much finer result. Test it out on the side of your thumb first. If you only just highlight your thumbprint, you’re in the ballpark. The sepia ink glaze will enrich the colours and give just the right amount of sheen.
G.

2 Likes

Great tips, thanks.

1 Like

And look who just landed this morning! The campaign just got very interesting……
G.

4 Likes

Noice! I haven’t treated myself yet to a Jeff Shui figure. I hope to this year.

1 Like

Working on the display, just old school




The green thing will be sometimes later a backpack

6 Likes