Wow you've got a great figure!

My $0.02 if it means anything would be example 1 seems to more historically and therefore ok, the rest fall more into the fantasy side of the house and not the intent at least for purposes of this website though @staff_Jim example, most but the full nude might be ok. I don’t have any personal issue with them, just not my house.

1 Like

I stand corrected. It’s true there are fora for Sci-Fi/Fantasy and even Wargaming (which is the purpose of the figures in the pictures) although the latter is little used. I understand that the Figures forum is a sort of heir to “Historicus Forma” and therefore primarily for historical figures, but even there the occasional outright fantasy figure has crept in, not to mention some items being based on Hollywood’s take on history… This being a generic starter campaign I thought it would cast the net fairly wide, but looking more closely I note the words “any period” which does imply historical figures only. I had intended to go with this item:

Although from a Sc-Fi range it does approximate an historical female Gladiator (they did exist until they were banned by Emperor Septimius Severus in A.D. 200) and with some work would resemble “Achilia” or “Amazon” from a relief from Bodrum (Halicarnassus) so she’s not entirely a lost cause.

Regards,

M

If we’re good to go, I find myself leaning towards this guy from ICM’s 1918 German Infantry.

Maybe sat in a shell hole ready to give covering fire with his machine gun.
He can be built with or without the gasmask.

6 Likes

Nice choice, I actually have him penciled in for part of my “Apocalypse 1919” theme, albeit modified for a slightly different take. If you fancy ringing a bit of a change I understand the Sturmtruppen had first dibs on any captured British Lewis guns which they much preferred to the hunk of steel he’s having to haul around.

Regards,

M

1 Like

Yes, I did read that somewhere.
It’s a good idea. Got plenty of Lewis’s spare from their various British sets so one wouldn’t be missed.
It was certainly a much more portable weapon than the MG08/15, despite the efforts to lighten it!
I always found it curious that Germany never developed a truly reliable light-machine gun in WW1. There was the MG15, but it apparently had issues with overheating and the few that did reach units were on the Russian or Middle East fronts.

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to say any of that, fantasy/sci-fi would be welcome in this campaign for the reasons you mentioned about casting a wide net. I don’t think there should be any genre exclusion. I haven’t pick my choice yet but it might not be historical.

The point I was trying to make it that I would think more leeway is given to historically accuracy then fantasy. Based on Jim’s rules, I would think that figure would be acceptable.

1 Like

I’m sorry I misunderstood you. I agree that verifiable historical figures should be allowed to display physical attributes which in other contexts might be gratuitously employed simply for effect without justification.

Regards,

M

1 Like

For the benefit of anyone else reading I take it you’re referring to the Bergmann MG 15aA or nA, the latter being more common, rather than the inter-war aircraft machine gun. This was deployed on the Western Front for a while to permit the (delayed?) introduction of the MG 08/15 before being relegated as you describe. It was also used by the Musketen battalions to supplement their Madsen LMGs of which Germany had acquired some 5,000 prior to the conflict and captured more from the Russians, although these were chambered for a different round (the Madsen was adapted for over a dozen different cartridges including examples which survived long enough to be re-chambered for 7.62x51mm NATO, the Rio de Janeiro police were supposed to have retired these in 2008 but were still using them a decade later and probably still are!). Like the Germans, you can loot the Madsen from the ICM WW1 Russians.

Regards,

M

2 Likes

Yes that’s the one. Damn confusing when they give a later gun the same name!
The Madsen is one to consider. I’d have to look around and see if any were still around in German service by 1918.
That gun had an incredibly long service life! I do remember somewhere that the Rio Police were originally confiscated from some gang. Not sure how true the story is though.

1 Like

Quick look around and I found a couple of photos of Sturmtruppen with Lewis guns.

This one is definitely staged (no cameraman would sit in front of the firing range!), but shows both a Lewis and Madsen!

So thanks for the suggestion @MoramarthT . He’s definitely getting a Lewis.

4 Likes

Have we found a leader for this yet?

1 Like

Hope so. I’ve got at least 2 I want to put in. Maybe a few more……
G.

Anyone know who makes these figures? It’s a pic from a vendor’s newsletter but it doesn’t say who the figure maker is, scale, or anything. A couple of searches haven’t scored for me, so hope someone happens to know…

corkpopper

2 Likes

Probably a mash-up of figures?

although i am not taking part in this campaign (due to my lack of skill painting figures) i do like to look at them. i would like to add that i don’t see any problem with nudity full or partial. just not turning it into some freeze frame of a skin flick, although if you did you would have to add the funky background music which seems to be a requirement and would not be possible here :grin:
after all fantasy/ sci fi is a popular theme that i would think would have to be included.
also, i am not aware of it but are there any young adult members here? and is there an age requirement? just wondering.

2 Likes

As I understand it any type of figure goes for this campaign?

I might go fit Star Wars figures. I don’t think that’s a problem?

2 Likes

Are busts allowed?

I own some large scale Verlinden busts, i. e. 1:9 scale (200mm is this), as well as some of the large WW2 Warrior figures. I’d like to paint one of Verlindens large scale pirate busts. Are pirates OK here?

And a silly question: I still have not figured out how these campaign thing in general is working.

Where to put the WIP photos? Do I have to use my own WIP thread elsewhere and to show only the finished model here; or do I post all the WIP photos and comments here in the campaign thread?

Regards

• dutik

We need someone to step up to run the campaign to definitively answer what’s in and what’s out. Hint hint

If it were up to me both of those suggestions would be fine.

As far as WIP photos, one can put them into the main thread, or when the campaign goes from being a staging area to an active campaign, one may create a subthread of that for your work in progress. You can check the twin-engine fighter group build and the thread under it for the P-38 build as an example of how this works.

I’m not sure this will become active if we don’t have a designated leader hint hint.

1 Like

I don’t know of a age requirement, but I know we have at least high schooler (hate him, all that talent and time to build) who posts frequently maybe 2 and few college age folks.

1 Like

Yes, any type of figure is allowed so SW is welcomed.

1 Like