Wow you've got a great figure!

Are there any other suitable alternatives, then?

2 Likes

I use the term ‘BluTak’ as a commonly known modeling reference. The product I use is actually called ‘FUN-TAK’ and is available at most big-box stores such as Walmart.

51A0iLHvXHL

—mike

1 Like

RougePilot. That looks like one of the older Tamiya figures from their SdKfz 251 Kit (I think they were sold separately too.) The fit of the gun to hands is very sloppy - this is shown in Tamiya’s own ad picture:

I suggest cutting off the hands, drilling out the cuffs a bit, so they are more realistic, and then drilling a hole in the sleeve so you can insert a piece of wire to re-attach the hand later.

Drill a hole in the hand, glue in the wire then slip the wire in the sleeve. Adjust the wire length for fit and glue the arms into place so the hands hold the rifle roughly in place - you can bend the wire later to fine tune the fit.

When the arms are secure, insert the hand and bend the wire so the rifle fits properly. Build up the wrist a bit from some putty to add the section you need to go into the sleeve where you made it look like a cuff. You can add remove putty until it looks right. When the putty is dry, remove the hand, sand the putty smooth and then re-attach the hand with the rifle in place. With luck, you may be able to remove the rifle for painting.

If you are game, consider slicing into the fingers and removing some plastic in a ‘V’ shape almost all the way through, so you can bend the fingers closed a bit more.

Good Luck whatever you choose to do.

5 Likes

Interesting, and yes, the figure is from that kit. I’ll see what I will do, then.

2 Likes

Alright lads, “The Collector “ is finally done! Not my best but, not my worst either. No idea why but, this one just seemed to fight me all the way. All yours now, gents….

Not entirely sure what I’ll do for the next one but, I’ve a few ideas :wink:
G.

11 Likes

Hard to imagine the base figure is a plastic Tamiya figure. All the changes you made look great. :+1::+1:

2 Likes

That hat absolutely kills me. Cletus is looking real nice there Laz

1 Like

But you win! :boxing_glove: Ding! ding! ding! :bellhop_bell:
:smile:

1 Like

Knew I should have given him a banjo :joy:
G.

3 Likes

I’m cleaning up my parts and this nub that was used to attach the piece to the sprue is concerning me. It seems like it might be a point to attach something, but I’m not sure. Fyi, this is a German soldier from we2, and i just don’t want to cut off something that I need.

3 Likes

Another nice one.
You are a machine…

1 Like

@ RougePilot. Judging by your image and by the instruction page I found online, this looks like a hefty chunk of sprue gate.

IMG_0247

2 Likes

All the parts have been cut out and cleaned up. Next will be using some PVA to see how all the parts are supposed to work together.

I’m happy that I kept some jar lids that my mom was about to throw out. One came in useful to hold these parts. Other useful things that help keep together smaller pieces are paté containers (larger, but still fragile/losable pieces) and soy sauce cups (I’m using one for wheels and doors right now).

5 Likes

I would happily take that as not one of my best and immediately give up figure painting lol… It looks stunning. Great attention to detail :+1:

Now, sadly for my pathetic offering lol…

I’m going to go for cam smock and normal old school trousers on this guy, I’m imagining him being an old sweat and looking after his kit.

And this is the scheme I will try and do on the smock and helmet.

Smock base is Tamiya flat earth and trousers are big standard field grey. Will paint his kit as standard and then weather it all.

5 Likes

That’s an old, but very good good figure. Paints up well.
I use them ALOT as base for conversions and the quality of the plastic make them so easy to work with.

That said, looks like you have big mold slip on the weapon.
Try another if you have some?

5 Likes

I can try looking at the other rifle included, but I doubt it would be much different. I have no other rifles and the other weapons/equipment included in the set would not fit the figure’s pose. I could also not use the rifle, but the pose would be awkward without the rifle. What other options do I have?

If the slip is only on the bottom just scrape off w/ Xacto.
If not see if you can get the tamiya german weapong / equipment package.
Its only few bucks and all of the parts there are better than old moldings.
Use for your next 4-5 figures.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll try fixing the current rifles I have, and will probably look into buying this set of equipment.

2 Likes

Looks excellent to me as usual Lazarus. Great job.

Johnny, looks like you’re off to a great start!

2 Likes

I scraped away the excess and it looks fine now.

2 Likes