Wow you've got a great figure!

Okay, here goes a little more progress. I got to the workbench and did some wet and dry fitting today.
I kept a fire extinguisher on hand, just in case.:fire_extinguisher:

And just for the heck of it… a couple of reference pics from the web.

Hope the layout’s starting to make sense now. :hammer_and_wrench:

—mike

11 Likes

Looking really good there, Mike. Love the groundwork. Should be a stunner when it’s all wrapped up! Looking forward to seeing the gun crew with some paint on them too!
G.

1 Like

Looking great Mike. :+1:

2 Likes

Mike, that’s an incredible scene. Whether you show it off by itself or incorporated into a larger diorama, AAA+!

Tom, your old Tamiya guy looks pretty dang good to me. I’ve been putsying around with some of my older Tamiya lately, too. They ain’t even a fraction of your quality.

2 Likes

That little scene is looking great Mike. I can verify it is a complete PITA filling Jerry cans up … Looks terrific :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Thank’s for having a look guys! Glad you like the fuel dump so far!

BTW: Think I got the figure’s skin-tone to roughly match my own. Could still use some work — we’ll see. I actually managed to touch-down a mustache using Vallejo Dark Rust (70.302) which seemed to work out okay.

I think the gun crew would agree with you. It’s like they’ve got a round stuck in the gun barrel… What’s the worst that could happen?

Happy figuring!
—mike

6 Likes

Ok, I’m calling Johan Frankenstein done.
It’s no where near perfect, and not even close me being massively happy with it, but I could spend the next 2 months at it full-time and it wouldn’t get any prettier…

The campaign was a great idea and although you wouldn’t think it, I did pick up a lot valuable advice and direction from some proper genius’s who make figure painting look so so easy.

I did Johan pretty much out the box, but did carve away his sling and added one from the German webbing PE set.

Thanks to Ryan @Tank_1812 for stepping up and running as our illustrious leader, and dragging me through it…

There have been some simply outstanding figures here, not only painted, but sculpted and with major surgery and made into something amazing… And there are still some terrific builds yet to be finished, which I will still be watching and admiring…keep up the great work one and all :+1::+1:

10 Likes

Nice job there Johnny!

1 Like

Congrats! Nice work on Johan’s camo! :art: :paintbrush:

—mike

1 Like

Congratulations John. I think you did a good job and can see improvements from the first posting.

2 Likes

Looks fine to me John. Only thing I’d suggest is painting the water can strap. Most German WW2 canteens had a black leather strap:

1944 Issue:

https://www.mp44.nl/equipment/field_bottle_late.htm

4 Likes

Thanks Ryan and Peter… I will redo that strap later to the black :+1:

3 Likes

Hello fellow figurers!

Here you go… PVT Phillups’ shift is finally over at the Fuel Dump!

I’ll most likely revisit this to piddle-around with the ground work, but for now… I love the smell of gasoline in the morning! :fire:

FLAMMABLE GAS

Time to clear the deck and redirect fire onto the AT Gun Crew. :military_helmet: :military_helmet: :military_helmet: :military_helmet: :military_helmet:

Cheers!:beer:
—mike

13 Likes

Nice end of shift finish! All the detail elements tell the story well. The look on his face is the, getting a fume headache

4 Likes

Great finish Mike and it looks so good with all the little details. Tells a cool little story about some of the more tedious aspects of military life. Lovely build :+1:

3 Likes

Love it Mike. Very well done.

2 Likes

Mike,

That’s a great scene you have built. :+1::+1:

Is it the shadows or did you give him a handle bar mustache?

2 Likes

A great scene Mike, shows that Army life isn’t all the glamor it’s hyped up to be! Very well executed.

3 Likes

Thanks for showing us this. This is a reference I need currently. Just curious and sorry to put it in this thread, but it seems like all the leather that the Germans used they died black. I’m guessing that includes the seats that they used in their motorcycle sidecars?

2 Likes

A little vignette of painting rocks or police call would be most the accurate. I guess paint chipping for a squid would be the same.

3 Likes