Your very first scale model aircraft

What was your very first scale model aircraft?

Mine was the Matchbox Saab Viggen in 1:72. I was 5 years old and totally blown away. And, oh boy, do I remember the paint job.

1 Like

Mine was the Airfix 1/72 Short Stirling. No paint, just glue and decals. I managed to find one in the original boxing recently to do a nostalgia build!

Cheers, D

1 Like

My earliest recollection is some sort of air racer - it was a bagged kit and my mother helped me put it together on the kitchen table as my father was too tired and I was likely throwing a tantrum because I was an impatient brat ( older siblings assessment)
This took place in our first home which we moved out of around the time of Kindergarten so that would make it 62 years ago or more.
Another one of that era that I recall was a Curtiss Condor on floats and I distinctly remember it being molded in orange plastic. Was it ITC perhaps ? I believe it was re popped by Glencoe not too long ago.

1 Like

The Matchbox 1/72 Hellcat in FAA colours. Probably still at my parents house somewhere.

As far as I can remember it was an Aurora Albatross molded in a deep red plastic. I think it had the nat’l markings molded in relief right on the wings to show you where to put the decals. It was a glue fest. Anyway, that’d the first model I remember having built.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Airfix Lancaster that I built with my Dad in the 70s.
The first kit on my own I think was the Airfix 1/72nd Spitfire, followed by several more 1/72nd W.W.2 era aircraft that ended up hanging from the ceiling.
Andy :slight_smile:

Hawk 1/72 Dauntless Dive Bomber -

Douglas-SBD-5-Dauntless-WWII-Dive-Bomber-Hawk

My sixth birthday, 1966, my aunt took me to the 5 & Dime and told me I could spend a whole dollar on a birthday present. I picked the kit, and I busted my budget. But, she was generous enough to add the extra $0.15 for a tube of glue (which she had to buy anyways because the glue was kept behind the counter at the cash register and was only sold to adults… LOL!).

I used too much glue and melted the attachment points for the landing gear and prop, but I was hooked for life. (I still don’t think it was the devil glue that hooked me, bu’cha never know! LOL!)

The point is, how do you know the fairy isn’t a crazy glue sniffer? “Building model airplanes” says the little fairy; well, we’re not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that’s all it takes. The next thing you know, there’s money missing off the dresser, and your daughter’s knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

1 Like

@Tank_1812 :laughing:

Mine was this bad boy. :slight_smile:

Also my first model period.

3 Likes

I still have mine, built and painted and still in excellent shape :slight_smile:!

The Airfix Auster in 1/72. Got it for Christmas in 1982 when I was ten and I’ve been building ever since!

:raising_hand_man:
Magnus

3 Likes

Mine was a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire when I was about 9, maybe 8 with my Dad and neither of us had any idea what we were doing. I can remember it seemed to look ok and I was chuffed with it, but I think in reality it would of looked a pigging mess lol…

1 Like

I want to say that mine was one of those Hawk 1/72 kits that the local drug store carried. I can’t remember which kit it was though. I do remember building quite a few back then though.

I don’t remember but I think balsa wood was involved. I remember (sort of) my first plastic model. It was a red Ferrari and that was back in 1961. No paint or decals. Just an over abundance of glue with matching glue finger prints.

Cheers
:beer: :robot: :beer:

1 Like

I can’t remember exactly and most definitely don’t have it any more but I think it would have been an Airfix blister 1/72 Spitfire, followed by a blister Bf-109.

3 Likes

So many wonderful little stories!!!

Ah, I remember this one, not my first but I logged many hours on short hops around the livingroom in this warbird.

Growing up I did cars way more often than planes, but I do recall my first was this:

I don’t think it was a success. LOL

1 Like

My first aircraft was the old Revell 1/72 Avro Lancaster. It got destroyed when it got knocked off my ceiling where I had it hanging. I’m not sure if I have any pics of it but I will look.

1 Like

Wow,thats hard to remember,probably in the early 80’s
1st armor kit was Tamiya Panzer IV
Aircraft might have been a Matchbox 1/32 BF-109