Alright, here we go on my BM-21.
Base kit is Zvezda’s BM-21. Kit was released in 2019. It’s based on the URAL 4320 chassis. This is my first go with one of their kits and so far I’m quite happy. The box is absolutely stuffed with sprues. Over 429 parts according to the box.
Detail on everything is crisp. No over flash, sink marks or other defects that I’ve seen.
Tires are sold rubber/vinyl. They’re well cast but don’t quite meet the bill for accuracy, at least compared to what I’ve found online. I think they’ll work for me though.
Decals and markings provided for a couple vehicles in Russian service (we won’t be needing those) and some stickers for the mirrors.
There’s no PE with the kit. I grabbed the Microdesign set which comes with some pretty solid instructions. I have a set of Quinta 3D decals coming for the cab as well.
So far I’ve managed to knock the majority of the engine block together, which I think I’ve ID’d as the YAMZ-236 V6 Diesel.
Fit has been pretty good with minimal cleanup of parts, mostly seam lines. There are some very small gaps here and there between parts where the tolerances between them are just out of alignment, but given their location in the engine bay, I don’t think they’ll be too noticeable after some paint.
On that note, the kit gives you the option to display the hood and cab doors either open or closed, which given all the detail they’ve crammed in here will be nice.
This is defiantly one of the more daunting builds I’ve undertaken, but if the engine is representative of the rest of the kit, I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.