Zvezda BM-21

Coming together nicely Don, decals look great- looking forward to using them on a few Russian vehicles myself now after seeing your work. What’s with the yellow windows though- you mentioned they are masked- is it a fluid or a type of tape?

It’s Kapton tape.

Apparently it’s normally used to mask PCB boards for soldering and stuff.

Has a very soft silicone based adhesive. It’s super thin and flexible and I find can be burnished into corners and around window frames very well.

1 Like

Get it Richard, Its a cracking kit … I’m doing as part of the 8 Wheeler Group Build and I cant fault it.

1 Like

This is looking great Don. You have done a really top job on it so far and its jumping out with details … Lovely work.

That’s a fantastic tip on the tape Don. Thanks for that. I’ll have to get some. Online though - too bad Radio Shack has gone the way of the dino…

Yeah.

I can’t take credit though. Stole it from someone on Reddit.

I got a pack of 5 different widths for like $10 and the stuff is so thin I’m pretty sure there’s like 100 yards to a roll

1 Like

Yup just got a great 2" wide roll from Amazon for $12.

So here I am trying to glue on all the fiddly bits to the cab and I cannot for the life of me figure out where anything should go. There are no locating marks for half the parts.

Oh wait! I found them! They’re missing because they’re still on the bloody sprue! apparently the kit comes with two parts for the front of the cab and dumbass me just clipped the first one off the sprue without noticing (or checking the part number…)

6 Likes

lol … whoops

Some days I amaze even my self

1 Like

8 Likes

Don- thanks for the reply regarding the tape- like John I think I think I’ll have to get myself some- its always good to find new stuff like that. As for the truck bodies well that is right pain. Pretty sure I’ve made similar mistakes- its easy to do if there is no mention in the instructions of different variants etc.

Yeah as I’m now taking a second look through the box, there’s almost an entire other truck to be built out of the spares!

Ok, had to take a slight change of direction as it suddenly occurred to me that the truck I was trying to build wasn’t the truck I have in the box.

After conveniently coming across a post by @Kampits earlier today about a cement truck of all things, I finally ID’d the Nigerian trucks as being a KrAZ 255 chassis and not the Ural 4320 I’m building. So… Goodbye Nigeria, Hello South Sudan!

5 Likes

You can do it the Venezuelan one

1 Like

Thanks @megahobby , but this project is actually for an African theme campaign, so Venezuela is a little to the wrong side of the Atlantic for this one.

You right :+1:t3:

When I was in the service of king and country, we used to call those things, “grid square taker outters”. When that thing unleashes all 40 tubes at once if can take a a 1000m x 1000m grid square. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So I’ve spent a lot of time bitching about this build and not a lot showing off what I’ve done. As such…

This is actually a rock solid kit by any measure. If this is the calibre of kit Zvezda are going to continue bringing to the table, I’m excited and might start building more modern Russian stuff (if I can find a shelf big enough.

I’m just waiting for the glue to dry on the launch tube assemblies so I can smooth out the seams and then I’ll be able to assemble the aforementioned Grid Square Eraser.

7 Likes

Brilliant build sofar, love to read your adventures, great description of you PE battles :+1:
And the kit reminds me of my Dragon M3, also a ton of spare parts and not to clear instructions on which to use.
I love those interior decals, to bad you can not show more of them once the build is completed.
This paint scheme is just as nice, if not nicer than your original plan, are you planning on adding figures and a base or just the model?