Zvezda KV-2

@Nightgaunt,

My apologies this will be a long wordy post… hopefully it will contain information you will find of interest.

Last two questions first. My figure painting knowledge is basically at the novice level likewise with painting flesh tones. So I’ll differ to others on those topics. Here’s my thread asking basically similar questions. Best-starter-kit-guide-for-painting figures

First question, time-line tends to determine color selection for DAK really.

On first arrival one can probably do some Panzer Gray and very heavy dust etc.

I think this site nicely covers the color selection.

North Africa German Army Colors

On 17 March 1941, Inspectorate 2 ordered that equipment in North Africa should be painted two-thirds yellow-brown (gelbbraun RAL 8000) and one-third gray-green (graugrün RAL 7008).

On 25 March 1942, Inspectorate 2 ordered that gelbbraun and graugrün were to be replaced by brown (braun RAL 8020) and gray (grau RAL 7027) once existing paint stocks were depleted, using the same pattern.

So we have a rough idea of what colors we’re talking about I’ve reposted @SSGToms Matt’s pic of the Tomas Chory’s color chips
unnamed (4)
that are in this fantastic reference book. Highly recommend.

As for Tamiya paints for DAK/Afrika Korps colors this thread has a plethora of information: DAK Paint Mixes Using Tamiya Colors

Personal Side Note & Comments
Given my pet favorite enamel Floquil Military Colors don’t provide the four key DAK colors:
gelbbraun RAL 8000
graugrün RAL 7008
braun RAL 8020
grau RAL 7027

I’m going to spray enamels or lacquers due to personal preference, so alternative had to be found.

Mr. PAINT

Mr. Paint provides all four DAK colors by RAL number. These are acrylic lacquers already thinned and ready to spray. Mr Paint’s Panzer Grey is so exact a match its basically impossible to see their paint chip against and item painted in unfaded WW2 vintage Panzer Grey. Mr Paint seems to go out of the way to produce accurate paint colors unlike practically every other hobby paint provider.

mrp211__68458.1612227718

1 Like