1-35 car kit conversions 1930s

Hi to you all, can anyone help me with this problem please.
I am planning a 1-35 a british home front diorama set during the blitz.
are there any cars that could be altered to represnent 1930s British cars.
I know there is an Austin Seven resin model on the market.
Any help would be most welcome.
Thanks

Maybe some 1/35 scale diecasts with some tweaks would fit the bill ? Matchbox (Models of Yesteryear series) had released a 1936 Jaguar SS100

and a 1934 Riley MPH

H.P.

Thanks for info, I suppose I should have said more of the saloon type vehicles.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Probably not the one you have in mind, but the Fiat Topolino was sold in England

Here’s a 1937 RHD one :

You’ll have to convert one of the available models into a RHD one though…

H.P.

1 Like

Another option : the Citroën 11 CV “Traction Avant” was also built in England (at the Slough factory). You can convert the Tamiya French 11 CV into a British “Light Fifteen” :

More info : https://www.citroenet.org.uk/foreign/slough/traction/traction-01.html

1939 model :

Full walkaround here :

https://themarket.bonhams.com/en/listings/citroen/light-15/dee989a9-c597-4904-a0c5-a7d1839ba78d

H.P.

2 Likes

The front end of Tamiyas Austin Tilly is based on the 10hp saloon. You could scratch build a rear end or possibly use the rear end from the Opel Kadett. Fairy Kikaku make a 1/35 Riley 4 door saloon. They were regarded as sporty and a little upmarket.

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks Frenchy for some great info, I looked at the Topolino van and thought of the Morris Z van.The Citroen is an interesting subjuct.
Hi Covkid, fancy a go at that conversion Austin Tilly - Opel Kadett and thanks for the other info.
Uncle Heavy thanks for the info.
Would a Gaz M1 4 door saloon possibly pass for a British British model or maybe a Ford type.
Many thanks again.

I guess so (with a few tweaks). The M1 was based on the Ford Model B

Here’s a RHD Ford Model B Sedan (1934)

GAZ M1

H.P.

Maybe compare Vauxhalls from the 1930’ies with the Opels from that time.
ICM has done a bunch of Opels, maybe they could be tweaked …
or ICM’s Packard Twelve (maybe too fancy for the intended diorama?)

Thanks again for the help with this topic.
My diorama is set on the home front during the bombing of Britain.
It will contain a Fordson E83w mobile canteen, Austin Tilly as a first aid party vehicle, Gaz AA truck as a Ford with men clearing the bomb debris and lots of civillians.
Any more suggestion most welcome, Thanks.

1 Like

They’ve tweaked their K38 into a saloon Moskvitch 401, which really varies only in the motor installed ~ (and possibly not needing to be on display?) that might be the best starting point?

~ and the hub caps, I forgot about them…

Cheers,

M

Thanks M,
Has anyone done any homefront models or dioramas, it would be good to see them.
Thanks for any replies.

For what project ? BTW, chances of coming across a Moskvitch in a 1940 London street were rather thin considering it was first built in 1946… :wink:

H.P.

Did you see this ongoing thread ?

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/non-railway-modeller-needs-more-help-please/29342

H.P.

Another option could be backdating Airfix (or Gecko) Austin K30 truck to a civilian one…

H.P.

Yep, but it’s still pretty much a pre-war Kadett saloon built by Opel, a General Motors company, and has some resemblance to the Vauxhall (another GM badge) K10-4 which entered production around the same time in the UK. I believe it’s the only four-door hard top variant of the K38 still available in ICM’s stable, and therefore the item nearest to xkopite’s specification if they have to resort to a conversion.

Cheers,

M

You’ve got a point here Tom, but the ICM kit would require a serious “nose job”…

H.P.

1 Like

And a fair bit more - the doors open differently and the rear doors have a different shape for a start…
But if it does turn out to be the only game in town…

Cheers,

M

Thank you so much for all this input, I can see some things may need a lot of work. Still interested in doing this.
I was looking at the Airfix Austin K30 as a possible vehicle for diorama Frenchy.
I appreciate all your comments, thanks.