1/35 m1a1

Looking good. The stowage looks good too. You may want to add one ruck sack though as there are 4 crewmen.

Thanks for the tip! What color are the rucksacks and Jerry/water cans

The medium and large LC-2 ALICE Rucksacks are medium green, water cans are buff.

Some of the earlier versions were molded in black as well.

Also, the 3-handle fuel cans are a darker brownish color.

1 Like

Those I painted in Linoleum deck brown from Tamiya.

2 Likes

Looks quite good.
I would reconsider 2 things, the cavalry unit doesn’t use mine rollers or mine plows (at that time the 1-1 CAV and 1-4 CAV were reconnaissance units of the division) and I would build the 96’ IFOR M1A1 without apu.
I’m not 100% sure though and it’s model building.

Andreas

Were the plastic fuel cans used by IFOR units? Where I was all we had were metal fuel/oil cans and plastic water cans.
Ken

I don’t think the plastic fuel cans were in general issue back in the 90s; metal for fuel, plastic for water.

The plastic fuel cans were available in the late '80s, but did not become popular until the mid-late '90s. When I was at 1CAV in about '96, we went through all the connexes and storage areas on post and got rid of all the metal fuel cans and turned them in for plastic ones. There were a lot of metal ones still hidden and hanging around.

2 Likes

Camouflage painting looking good , the 50 cal looks a bit too silver for my liking.

1 Like

Finally got the stowage done… when it comes to weathering i tend to lose interest, so it takes me a bit to finish

I did think about omitting the apu but the kit was molded around it, if i took it out there would be hole in the basket. Unless somebody has stowage ideas i could use to hide it….

6 Likes

Hi there !

I don’t believe the M1s of CAV units … at least stationed in Germany in the 1990’ties … used/issued the Mine Plow and/or the Mine Roller. At the time tat was more a “Privilege” of regular TB.

Cheers
Christopher

I don’t think I’m doing this right… the wear and tear looks off, so do the the scratches… anybody have any tips or videos to recommend on how to weather and show use on nato tanks?

7 Likes

I think the wear and tear looks pretty good, especially the scratches on the side skirts.
I will give you a few pointers though. The CARC paint is pretty tough, it does not chip or scratch all that easy. The side skirts, however, do take a beating.
The front fenders, stowage boxes/lids, and road wheels are aluminum, so they do not rust. The hubs of the road wheels are clear plastic.
The skate ring (the ring around the loaders hatch for the machine gun) is usually not painted, the paint interferes with the movement of the gun.
Ken

2 Likes

It looks good to me as well. These tanks take a beating.

This video is from Combine Resolve III

Impressive work, interior is awesome. I love all the technical support you’ve gotten on this build, from guys who’ve been there, excellent!

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers and that video helped a lot to! I gonna experiment with a few things and then I’ll upload a few pictures hopefully by this Sunday

1 Like

Here are some updates… in almost all the pictures i seen with m1a1 in Bosnia, they don’t seem to get to muddy so here is what i got

6 Likes

Last comment I promise I didn’t mean to hijack an Abrams tread and turn it into a wheeled vehicle talk but thank you for the info I do appreciate a good talk about modern us military vic’s as I have worked on about 99% of the stuff in the past 21.5 years.

2 Likes