1/35 M4 Grizzly with 17 pdr

Hey all, sorry I haven’t had a update for a while school, golfing and what not have kept me away form the bench. I hope to have the kit fully built and ready for priming on Saturday.

I just hit another bump in the build…
Looking at pictures of the Borden Grizz I noticed that It has the later vision block cupola as opposed to the early type without vision blocks I have on mine.

So I will need to source one. Also the turret roof is different so it will be surgery time for me removing and scratchbuilding new details.

Does anyone know of a AM brand that has the vision block cupola?

Ok, after a painstaking 20 min I was able to saw off the cupola and the firefly vane sight. ( I will need to scratch build a early version.) Luckily the majority of the sight is missing and only the base remains, so I wont have to build the whole one like on my Calliope.
Imgur

Edit: Not only do I need a new cupola, but I also realized I need to rework the whole gun mantlet as on the Grizz firefly they are shorter… that means removing the barrel, shaving down the mantlet then widning the barrel hole… heh… yah this is fun…

Ok so I’ve managed to get the mantlet sorted out. Now I just need to add the last details to the turret.
Imgur
And the hull is 99% done, I added the last little parts, the thick weld beads you see on the Applique armor, a wire from the missing horn and casting marks.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
The time for priming is soon approaching!

4 Likes

Alrighty the grizzly is now primed!
I think it looks very good. Now time to sand down some little imperfections.

Here is a side by side with the actual one.

The build is now on pause until I can find the new cupola for it.

4 Likes

Hi Ezra
It is looking great!..hope you find the cupola.
Cheers,

1 Like

Thanks Joe!
I just ordered a vison cupola from Formations so I should have it in a little over a week. (Shipping from Canada has been amazingly fast the past month…)
And while I was at it snagged the Canadian VVSS bogies!
(I was gonna leave them as the kit parts but the better Canadian part of me forced me to buy them…)

Now all thats left is to scratch build a empty gun travel lock along with some other tiny parts…

Now its time to go pry the 6 bogies apart…

3 Likes

Great…glad you found the cupola and other parts… one step forward to completing this beauty!
Cheers,

1 Like

After a hour of prying, swearing and a few cut fingers I managed to tear the fronts off the bogies to be replaced with Resin.
Imgur
I also added to my order from Formations some track skids because it would take some unpleasant cutting and sanding to fit the dragon ones.

And while I was at it bought some 1/35 Sherman antennas for both the Grizz and my Calliope.

I just wanna say I 100% recommend formations for all Shermie and Canadian detail set.
https://formationsmodels.com/index.php/resin/general-detail-parts-sets

4 Likes

Looking good. Did you drill the bogie face?

1 Like

Not yet, but I plan to when I get the finished bogie together.

1 Like

Wrong type of antenna’s, you will need the No. 19 A & B set antenna’s not the US style. Photo for reference

3 Likes

Yes, What Anthony said. The Canadians and British both used the same type of radios. In fact, Canada supplied some to Britain.

2 Likes

Oooh ok! Thanks for the info.
Looking back at my ref. pictures it seems it was actually removed. (?)

I think if it was there you would be able to see it. I’ll do a bit more research and see what I can find.

2 Likes

Fantastic work thus far Ezra. The lads here in Oshawa are watching with great interest! Keep up the excellent job.

Looks great Ezra !

Thanks alot guys!
Im still waiting for my stuff from Formations to arrive…

I’m also waiting.

Ok here we are at last.
The Formations Canadian Bogies and Sherman skids look really nice!
I was really surprised by the fit as almost no filling is necessary. They are still dry fit for easier filling and painting

The Vison block cupola looks great as well.
(Still need to attach a few more parts to it)

Here is a overall shot of the model.

Only a bit more sanding and filling the its ready to be painted!

7 Likes

I have a quick question, what color were the Grizz’s painted? In all the pictures they seem to light and green to be Olive drab even extremely faded. Anyone know?

Actually disregard, I read that the Borden Grizz got repainted although I dont know what color.

My new plan is to turn this tank into a what if… or more like what was, as I want to show this tank as it was in around 1944. So it would be wearing operational markings. I will do some digging and try to come up with a somewhat accurate profile… wish me luck.