1/35 - Meng's Merkava Mk IV M c/w Trophy APS (Build Blog-ish)

Is the M2 ammo stored somewhere specific?

1 Like

Not 100% certain, the box under the machine gun mount fits enough ammo and there is also a spare ammo box in the bustle rack

1 Like

This one’s looking great. I hadn’t heard of the AFV Club lens stickers, so I’ll have to get some of those. Are they vehicle specific or a sheet for you to cut to size?

2 Likes

Is that the kit non-slip on the turret?

Great work and am enjoying your build.

2 Likes

Thanks. The AFV Club stickers ‘claim’ to be compatible with the Meng kit. The stickers come pre-cut, much like Eduard masks.

However, the stickers were compatible with just about every Merkava Mk IV Kit Manufacturer’s offering, except Meng!

So, some careful planning was required to match the kit instructions to the AFV Club sticker layout and a little bit of trimming was required - but overall, they worked out pretty well.

2 Likes

Hi, yes it is the kit’s non-slip effect on the turret. Some say it isn’t very good and replace it with their own, but for me, it looked just fine.

3 Likes

Great work so far!
@TopSmith suggested I CAD and 3D print that cover in a “hinged down” position.

I am going to take that challenge sometime next month. I’ll be watching this thread.

1 Like

Make a set for me also.

1 Like

If you could do that now and have them to me by August, that would be great! :slight_smile:

Seriously, it might come a bit late for this build, but it would be a welcome option for anyone seeking to take on this kit in the near future.

1 Like

Hi Roly,
I could CAD and 3D print by the end of the month but postage from the US to the UK will be cost-prohibitive. It was like $20 to mail something small like 400 grams. Not to mention the customs form to fill out and waiting at the post office, etc. It makes more sense for you to get my STL, and get someone local in the UK to 3D print it.

3 Likes

This sort of thing is a mystery to me - but i do know someone with a 3D printer.

1 Like

I’ve more or less completed the turret now, the rear basket is under construction.

The close up shots highlight any inconsistencies in painting etc. It looks too light because of the camera flash, but really, from a normal view point, it looks pretty good.

11 Likes

I get your point about the camera flash, but thats looking seriously good to my eyes.

2 Likes

Did some more work on the turret and now construction on that is nearly done. Rear stowage basket attached, along with the chain and ball skirt.

Note that in three positions, angled antenna mounts are fitted, but the actual antennas wont be fitted until the end of the build.

It went together pretty well, and the instructions are clear enough but this is all really fragile, especially at the rear - and real care is needed when handling the assembly.

The water jerry can is painted desert pink, as I am sure that is the correct colour - the kit instructions call for flat black.

6 Likes

First a dark wash was applied and then pigments, desert sand, African Earth and finally, Golan earth.

Again, it looks over done in the pictures, and arguably, it is over done. But, as I said before, I have seen pictures of these vehicles absolutely plastered in dust and absolutely this colour overall. I will let you be the judge of it.

But here are a couple of pictures that hopefully demonstrate my reasoning with regards to overall colour.

7 Likes

The turret mated with the hull - test fit. It will have to come off again in a moment. Note that the co-axial and Cmdr’s MGs are now fitted.

5 Likes

Vehicle identification panels fitted. ‘Gimel’, 3rd Shield (Magen) Company, 3rd Steel (Eshet) Battalion, 401st Armd Bde. Golan Heights, March 2016.

5 Likes

And the turret once again reuinted with the hull. This is a big tank!

11 Likes

That is looking really good mate. I do not think the weathering is over done by any means. Like most of us here and for any IDF guys as well, we have all seen images of them caked in dust and really faded out. Very nice indeed. :+1:

3 Likes

Oh wow! I agree Johnny, amazing job.

2 Likes