1/35 - Meng's Merkava Mk IV M c/w Trophy APS (Build Blog-ish)

I’ve now attached the recovery strop and towing chain.

11 Likes

Thinking ahead, as I also have a Namer on the way, and there doesn’t really seem to be much dedicated IDF accessories out there - I would welcome advice on whether modern US and IDF kit was more or less interchangeable as individual items (forget the form and fit).

I like the look of this set from Legend

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1359-m1a1a2-tank-stowage-set-iii/

It is expensive but on the other hand, it is quality and comprehensive. I’m thinking all i’d need to swap out is the ration boxes for actual IDF ones which i know I can get seperately.

Anyone with constructive thoughts and/or opinions welcome.

@gtdeath13
@ReluctantRenegade

1 Like

Check blackdog, they have some nice 1/35 generic IDF stowage sets

1 Like

No, not really. While some individual US items might find their way into IDF inventory, generally that’s not the case. Our kit is mostly Israeli made (well, actually probably Chinese, but to Israeli specs).

Some of those are seriously outdated. The rifle grenade gear for example is that of a Galil assault rifle. IDF infantry units ditched those over 30 years ago.

1 Like

I’ve also read that Black dog don’t have the best reputation for accuracy or quality.

This is about the best I can find and its not what i’d really want - i’m wanting a lot more boxes/crates type stuff.

http://www-legend.co.kr/portfolio/lf1054-idf-tank-accessory-set/

What would you use/have you used in the past?

You could add food items. Verlinden did a set of IDF field rations/MREs. There may be others.
Ken

I agree with the reputation about Black Dog, their conversion sets for some subjects are subpar. But I suggested this set because it is pretty decent, I used to have one but gave it to a friend for a Magach 6B he was building.

Take a look at the Centurion stowage set

1 Like

Roly, the best way to solve the stowage issue of the Merkava is to cover the hull and turret baskets, as that’s the standard procedure anyway. You don’t really see any other stuff stored outside the baskets.

4 Likes

What He Said GIFs | Tenor

3 Likes

Working ahead, as the turret is under construction.

Are these APS shields normally fitted - or under what circumstances are they removed?

Pictures I have seen show that when the APS is to be active, these shields can be opened and they hinge downwards. But Meng only give you the option to have them fitted or not. I’ve also seen pictures of tanks with these covers completely removed.

@gtdeath13
@ReluctantRenegade

I see lots of the whole cover removed, but none with it hinged ?

Maybe totally removed when they know they are going into a hot zone or combat is probable ?

The first batch of tanks did not have the protective cover. Now every tank has them.

Blue=training

If you want to depict the cover lowered, this is the only photo I have

3 Likes

Yeah, they’re hinged alright

There’s a good picture of one Nicos just sent that shows it folded down. Pity Meng didn’t give you the option.

Since the vehicle I am depicting was on exercise, the covers will be off and the APS will be blue.

Thanks @Johnnych01 and @gtdeath13

4 Likes

It shouldn’t be too much complicated to create the hinges from scratch. However I agree that Meng could have provided the both options.

Olivier

1 Like

I’ve completed the weathering on the hull (more or less - final touches will be made at the end of the build).

6 Likes

The turret less ancilliaries is complete. This was quite complicated with lots of small parts. It built up well though.

I may have overly lightened the overall colour, but i’m not sure - it will be weathered anyway…

Opted for hatches closed as there’s no interior detail and i’m not adding crew figures.

7 Likes

The turret optics, to be added later - I used AFV Club’s lens stickers here. They are ostensibly blue but depending on which angle you view it from, turn a lovely orange colour. Like these a lot.

5 Likes

I’m thinking these ammo cans are for the 7.62mm MAG only, not the M2?

@gtdeath13

2 Likes

True, 7.62 ammo box

1 Like