1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

I hear ya, Mark :slightly_smiling_face: That’s why they call it model making… But sometimes some kits seem more difficult than others :crazy_face: and hey, we can’t allow SETELE to set in being bogged down on troublesome kits :wink:

Thank you Tim, I really appreciate your kind words: it keeps the motivation to finish this kit going. It certainly is a challenging kit and keeps things interesting to say the least :wink:

So, i reckon I’m about due to show an update after a stint building wing things… We pick up on the work on the deck houses, preparing them for paint by filling seams and sanding back to make them invisible, and removing molded on details for replacement with brass PE and other bits and pieces…

I’ll let the pics do the talking…

So, as you can see, the aft deck house/main mast is now ready for paint.

There’s still a bit to do on the fw’d deck house so, I’ll keep working on that and post those pics a bit later on…
Thanks for looking :hugs:

8 Likes

A little more done on the forward deck house

Now to add the ladders before painting :wink:

10 Likes

Russ, super progress. I like the real world reference photos and especially the reuse/repurposing of the Prinz Eugen etch. Way to make it happen!

1 Like

Wow, very cool, mate! Great progress, the glacier is moving again, and pretty fast I have to say! Your work really makes a difference to the kit, nice idea with the Prinz Eugen PE - nothing beats a big stash of parts / PE frets from old builds, I keep them all, ‘just in case’, and they come in handy very often!
Just dropping by very quickly, still busy with real life things for another few weeks, so my glacier is on hold for a little longer.
Your way of writing comments in the pictures pointing on the items in question is a great idea, I like it very much! If I find some more time in the future, I might very well copy that…

Cheers mate
Jan

2 Likes

Its starting to look less like a dalek and more like a foremast. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Russ,

Great to see some progress, like the trick with the left over ladder sides around the top pf the mast,.Looking very good indeed.

Cheers, Si

Si

1 Like

You are going the extra mile for sure. I suspect my Dragon will not be so lucky.

1 Like

@TimReynaga @JJ1973 @Danie @RedDuster @McRunty Guys! Thankyou for your kind words. :slightly_smiling_face: They really help to keep the motivation up on a very “interesting” kit that’s for sure :wink:

@TimReynaga Tim, there sure is lots of opportunity on this kit for re-purposing and scratch building coming up :astonished: Yep, thankfully on this modern ship there’s lots of photos available on the net, so no hiding any mistakes :innocent:

Here’s a pic I found of Diamond with HMAS Melbourne (my hometown namesake ship) doing joint exercises back before Melbourne was decommissioned

@JJ1973 No stress, mate-I know how that real life thing can drag us away from the bench for long periods… Definitely preferring to put comments in the pictures as a way of pointing out the build elements. Moving along fast now, so hopefully this glacier will be wrapped up by Christmas :innocent:

@Danie Danie, that’s a good analogy-a Dalek! :joy:

@RedDuster Thanks Si. As you know, this kit has it’s “opportunities” for enhancements :wink:

@McRunty Rory, this kit is definitely one for wintertime, when rainy days are plentiful :innocent: Wait till you see what’s coming up :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

That is some super Work you are doing Russell. I love it…Cheers Mark

2 Likes

@surfsup Thanks Mark! :slightly_smiling_face:

A little more progress…

Clean up currently in progress and should see another update soon :grin:

Thanks for looking :innocent:

7 Likes

i’d say rather than camera thats a navigation radar (it was a 1006 on the ships i was on)

1 Like

Hi Russ,

looking back through the photographs on the thread, I’m with deerstalker, does look very much like a radar scanner. Very nice progress.

Cheers, Si :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@deerstalker36 @RedDuster Colin, Si, thanks for that info guys. It’s one of the great thing about the MSW forum, that folks are willing to share their knowledge :slightly_smiling_face:

For average blokes such as myself, it just looks like the kind of radar gun our local constabulary use to nab speeding motorists, and with the RN probably not willing to give too many of their secrets away, I am more than happy to defer to your wisdom :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Image for explanation purposes. - type 1047 I-band Nav radar

1 Like

@TimReynaga @deerstalker36 Thanks Tim, Colin. Those images and the link are a great help :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry for the delay in updates guys: I’ve been struck down with the dreaded lurgy, and not been good for much other than sleeping and Netflix… Hopefully back on the tools soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

All good. Slow and steady etc… I hope you feel better soon.

1 Like

Thanks mate… :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s really hit me like a ton of bricks this time around; and it’s taking its sweet time to go away…

Take it easy, my friend - Dauntless will be there when you are ready to give her your attention!

1 Like