1/350 Airfix Type 45 HMS Dragon or is it Dauntless...?

Thankyou Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

This trip has been a long time coming and I’m really looking forward to catching up with family, enjoying the mild summer warmth, sunshine, ice-cream and some down time :relaxed:

Yes, the flag has changed to where my :purple_heart: is…

2 Likes

You are now not too far away from my home area Russell; greetings from Bavaria :wave:

P.S.: Dont forget to taste the Czech Pilsener Beer :beers:

1 Like

Indeed Thomas, I’ll be spending most time in Moravia so not far at all …

Ah yes, Czech beer, certainly some of the finest… It was an especially sad day when Staropramen was no longer available locally :beer::yum:

Hey Russ,

enjoy your trip to Czech, and yes, their beers are certainly amongst the best you can get! Probably they have some small, local brands/breweries…that could be a treat… :beer:
While it seems that there isn’t a single area on Dauntless without some kind of complications, it’s great to see you moving along. Even with your summer break, I don’t see my glacier running away too far…

Cheers mate!
Jan

1 Like

17th of july the Dauntless was in the port of Den Helder (Holland) for a weekend
i was there with my truck to take off some waste
here is a picture of that

4 Likes

Hey @Erik welcome aboard MSW! :cowboy_hat_face:

What a fascinating insight into naval operations :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

Well, summer vacations must come to an end, and the workers must return to the dock yard :blush:

Thanks for looking, friends, back soon with more updates on the race to the finish with the glacier :innocent:

7 Likes

Great to see some progress Russ, you really are making a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Thanks Si… :blush:

I think most of hard parts are done, with the exception of the break water, which is bent as a banana :banana:… Will be interesting to see if I can straighten it :thinking:

Hi Russ,

I love the painting rigs, a clever solution to a nagging problem!

I don’t know how many times over the years I’ve broken/bent details or put fingerprints on paint jobs on small substructures like this just because there was no easy way to hold them while working on them. Raising them rather than just taping them to the painting base also neatly addresses the paint pebbling often seen as a result of the tiny vortices created by the sprayed air hitting the base when airbrushing.

Well done I say!

3 Likes

Thankyou very much for your kind words, Tim.

The nice part of this method is that it uses up some of the leftover sprue that would otherwise end up in landfill :hugs:.

It’s easy to glue in during construction of the main parts, isn’t seen after completion, and as you mentioned, avoids powdering of the paint because of air being reflected back :slightly_smiling_face:

bridge deck and housing masked and ready to go

Racked up and ready to paint!

A forest of small parts…

Aft deck house painted

Fw’d deck house painted

More soon :hugs:

5 Likes

Welcome back to your work bench, Russ! That’s a heck of fiddly work you’ve done … :open_mouth:

Hope you’ve enjoyed your holidays. I just came back yesterday evening from a week in France. So it’s also bench time for me again …

1 Like

Back to it again mate. Very sharp Masking and paint work…Cheers mark

1 Like

Indeed I did Torsten, and even squeezed in a trip to Letecké Muzeum Kbely…

here’s happy… :crazy_face:

scratch one bucket list item :wink:

Ooo Nice: France!

1 Like

Thanks Mark, removed the masking last night: there’s a few rough edges than need cleaning up and some touch ups with the brush required… Should be pretty straight forward to fix, with the next update showing all those components added to the build… :hugs:

If you show me yours, I show you mine … :grin: You as an Aussie might have heard of this place in France - Villers-Bretonneux. Just one of the many monuments I’ve visited last week.

And this one is in Peronne, where I had my base …

But that’s off topic, so now back to our ship yards and aircraft hangers!

Torsten
:wave:

1 Like

Hey Russ,

sorry for me being late with commenting - as you know, I’m on the move…

Fine work there mate, the way you are doing the paintwork on the superstructure is really smart! And it’s great to see your glacier moving once again. Mine is parked and will be for some more weeks, but at least is safely back home…

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Indeed, Torsten, both First Battle of Villers-Bretonneux, Second battle of Villers-Bretonneuxand Peronne are very recognizably locations… Thank you for such great photos :blush:

1 Like

Totally understand mate. Appreciate you looking in when you can :blush: