3D HEMTT A4 Conversion Parts in the Works

Hello, I’m new to this page since today.
I’m designing and printing the parts to build a HEMMT A4 but with visible engine.
The model kit where these parts are going to fit is the kit from Italeri / Dragon.
Today I’m starting the suspensions, but I’m not sure If I’m going to design axles also or just the suspension alone and use the kit axles.

This picture is the engine with the side radiators, still need to make the fans and holes in the exhaust shroud.

12 Likes

Welcome aboard Andy. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome aboard!
An A4 conversion could be really interesting!

2 Likes

Welcome to the darkside …

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I already made a conversion set to change the HobbyBoss 1/35 M1070 in to the M1070A1.

Hardest part or let me say most time consuming part is the research for these projects.

7 Likes

Nice products. I really like the HEMTT A4 parts. A little too late for my project, but it looks great.

For the suspension on mine, I used one already on Shapeways that is just the cantilevers and bags. It was undersized though, so needed some mods. I used the kit axles. You can see them in my build.

1 Like

I just designed these front and rear suspensions today.
Still doubting to design them with the axles on them.
Only have to account for the driveshafts between them if I go with the axles.

Same problem with the engine bay, do I design and print the complete platform, or just the engine, radiators and top cover.

4 Likes

Nice job, the bags look short to me though. This was the same issue I had with the Shapeways set.

2 Likes

I used the data and images I found online.
It could be that the bags are longer / higher when there is no load on them.
But I kept to the dimensions of the kit and true to the images I found online.

Biggest part of the day was searching and reading the manuals / data I found.

Schermafbeelding 2023-08-10 102722

3 Likes

It may be a function of the kit parts as opposed to what the actual dimensions are. To fit the axles between the arms and the frame, I had to extend the mounts and add taller bags. Here are how mine turned out.

Front.

Rear.

1 Like

The flat spot where the axles rest on is 20 mm from the top of the chassis, same as on the kit.
But I’m going to design the axles as part of the suspension.
That way its possible to use the drive axle from the front to be used at the rear to make a 3 axis rear.

2 Likes

Sounds good then. It looks like it will be a really nice set. Too bad mine is almost done. I just laid paint on it yesterday.

This suspension setup is not correct for the triple rear axle M1074A1 PLS.

From an earlier post on the topic.

The M1074A1 PLS still uses the same rear suspension set-up that was on the original M1074 PLS. I found this on the Oshkosh PLS page.

All PLS variants have the same rear tridem unit which consists of a single Hendrickson-Turner air-sprung drive axle (3rd axle) and a Hendrickson RT-400 leaf-sprung AxleTech tandem (4th and 5th axles) on which the rearmost axle contra-steers. On PLS A1 variants the front AxleTech/Oshkosh axles are sprung using Oshkosh’s TAK-4 fully independent coil spring suspension. The original PLS had a Hendrickson RT-400 leaf-sprung tandem front suspension.”

I found the above when I was building an M1074.
M1074 PLS Conversion

2 Likes

I can make the bags a bit less bulgy, they are very big in diameter now.

1 Like

Looking forward to your updates Andy !

1 Like

On the engine area parts, I would do the individual parts to add to the kit platform. I would leave the placement of them up to the modeler. This would also allow them to be added to the much better detailed Trumpeter HEMTT kits as well.

3 Likes

Im interesed in the M1070A1 conversion

1 Like

Looks nice Andy.Ike others I will also be interested in a set when it’s ready.

1 Like

I don’t have the Trumpeter HEMTT kits.
Only have the Italeri kits at the moment, maybe in a far future when I have one I can adjust for that.

1 Like

Size-wise, the Italeri and Trumpeter kits are identical. On my current M978A4 build, I am mixing parts from each to get what I am after. I also mixed them on my M1074 and M985A2 builds. So, your parts should fit either kit just fine.

2 Likes

Already this far, but I just discovered that the Axles are very different on the A4 compared to the original.

3 Likes