3D HEMTT A4 Conversion Parts in the Works

1 Like

Thank you for the assist. I haven’t figured out the thread like concept yet.

How hard would it be to convert the LHS system from the HEMMT to the LMTV.

“Also any/all trucks using the CHU required some form of rear guides (as you are correctly showing) to keep the container aligned as it is pulled up on the vehicle. The early flatracks and bulkhead racks only required the center V rollers.”

It appears that the US rear guides are cylinders (as depicted in at least some of the kits). From pictures in the Desert Eagle HEMTT book (#29, pp 12-17) it looks like IDF vehicles use a cone-shaped roller.

1 Like

So everyone knows, 3D-Wild just contacted me and refunded my money for the HEMTT A4 conversion set. They say that it is not printable to an acceptable quality yet and will take some more time to get it ready. They don’t know how long, but will contact me when they think it is ready to print.

4 Likes

And THAT is the mark of a decent production company/individual!

2 Likes

3D-Wild has also contacted me about the massive 1/350 USS Ford aircraft carrier kit; they’re sending out a new flight deck print as there are gaps in the one sent out previously. I was just going to putty them up like any other 1/350 carrier kit decks but now I guess the original set will be used for paint practice.

1 Like

I ordered the same conversation kit 2 months ago and they received my order and that was all I heard guess I better contact them for a refund

@cad_user, can you enlighten us about this?

Regards Thomas

Euhmmm, okay:

First off: Happy New year to everybody.

Now the enlightenment:

I design the stuff and test print it at home.
3d-wild is about (let me check) 5932 km from here in a parabolic line.

They are a professional printing company, with much bigger and descent printers.
So even if I send them my pre supported files they still have to tweak and adjust stuff to get 1 print - succes prints.
We use different brand and quality resin, that plays a factor.

And the professional descent company as they are, they don’t ship things out before they are 100% satisfied they can represent their printed product.

Ergo, sometimes they do things like refund, cancelation until they are happy with what comes out the printer before they start selling and ship it to the customers.

And there you go.

Now on a personal note:

People (in general, maybe a bit more amongst modelbuilders) are very impatient, notice how fast I designed it and test printed it.
I know companies where after +7 years (probably more) people are still waiting on their pre-order while paying a monthly patreon while the owner / designer travels the world claiming he is “lost in his work”.

It was because of this sort of people I started designing and printing myself just to show that it can be done in a descent time with good details and quality.

And what do I get?
The frustration of more impatient people, no help (help as in pictures I can’t find online), and lots of personal emails and messages to obtain the designs and parts, with sometimes blackmail and entrapment threats.

I already left all the groups on Facebook, and I’m this close doing the same here.
Why do others get praised for doing nothing, and I get all this feedback while making progress and actually creating? Point your frustration towards those who deserve it.

For you who don’t know yet:
I design for myself, but I don’t mind sharing my work, what doesn’t mean I’m going to start handing out my STL files or designs.
My printers weren’t free, same for my computer, resin, modelkits ect unlike previous mentioned designers I pay everything out of my own pocket.

Best regards.

9 Likes

Well said.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :+1:

2 Likes

@CAD_user, well, from my point of view, first of all, you get eternal gratitude for doing this project. The HEMTT family of vehicles are very interesting modelling subjects for me, and for many others. So your work is so much appreciated.

Regards

Thomas

2 Likes

Apparently “I Love Kit” is going to release all the same HEMTT Family trucks I have been designing:

I have nothing to do with it, but this is going to be the cheaper solution for many of you.

So now the question remains when they are going to bring them out.

2 Likes

Yup, HEMTTs, PLSs, LVSRs, and a bunch of other trucks coming form Trumpeter/I :heart: Kits.

1 Like

I wonder at what stage they are, and how good their research is.

Could be the end of 2024 they come out, or a couple of years from now.

1 Like

I would be happy to purchase your A4 kit as soon as it is actually available. I want to convert a M984a2 to an A4 (if possible). The new catalog does not have that model listed, plus who knows how soon the Trumpeter/ILoveKits will be available.

1 Like

Some kits take a veeeerryyyyy looooong tiiiiimeeee to arrive on the shops,
others make it more or less overnight.
Trumpeter has been teasing me with a proper SLT-50-3 Elephant for quite some time by now …

3 Likes

Just off the top of my head I would think not difficult at all. The LHS system on the HEMTT has certainly been applied to other type vehicles as well. I would think it would be a “drop-in” conversion. Gino or others will know more about the subject when they respond to you question.

I agree with Mike above. It would be a pretty easy conversion to make the M1148 8.8-ton LHS. You would probably need to lengthen the frame on an M1083 FMTV and add the LHS parts. The only issue I see is that there is no model or printed part (yet?) for the lightweight CHU that it mounts. Also, as far as I can tell, the M1148 was never bought by the US military, or anyone else. So, it would be a prototype/experimental vehicle at best. Not sure if that would be an issue for you or not. For me, I like to build only fielded equipment, so a no-go.

Now if we can hope that AFV Club makes the M800 series trucks. Also we could use some trailers ie…M303 etc…