3D HEMTT A4 Conversion Parts in the Works

are you detailing this up as a one off for personal consumption only or could a curious gent purchase a kit of upgrades from you?

1 Like

If I figure out a descent price I’ll put it up for sale.

3 Likes

Hi,

You can omit the spare wheel and the doors. All the resin wheel sets, I have seen include 9 wheels, and the Trumpeter HEMTT kits have separate doors.

1 Like

The doors of a A4 are different than previous versions, have a look. (reflector and door handle)
I realized, noticed it also yesterday, same for the middle console of the cabin.
And the cabin in general, once you see things it only get worse afterwards.
Regarding wheels, I noticed the wheel hubs of the trumpeter are different then Italeri.
And I’m designing the conversion kit for Italeri / Dragon at the moment since I have a few of these.
These Italeri kits cost half of trumpeter and the quality / details are the same.

2 Likes

You are right about the doors, I never noticed this difference before :slight_smile:

Regarding the wheels, then I think, that modelers, who are willing to buy your conversion kit will want the best point of departure for their model, so the price difference between a Trumpeter kit and an Italeri kit is irrelevant, especially because the Italeri kit is a piece of c***. But then again, I guess the difference in price of your kit with and without the spare wheel is also insignificant?

If I should build a M985A4 with your conversion kit, I would combine the Trumpeter M1120 kit, the Italeri M977 kit and your conversion kit with the Def Models wheels, and either Yoyager and/or Eduard etched parts.

Regards Thomas

1 Like

Sorry, but I definitely disagree with you there. The Trumpeter kit is light years ahead of the Italeri crap. The Trumpeter kits are way more detailed and refined that Italeri. Even the plastic is better.

4 Likes

Probably, the boxes are much bigger.
But I still have to buy and build my first Trumpeter HEMTT.
I’m on a budget.
Maybe next month I’ll buy a Trumpeter kit and adjust the designs for those kits also.

1 Like

The Trumpeter kits are so much better detailed than the Italeri kits you would think the Italeri kits were made out of Pla-Doh.

1 Like

So reading all this, I better adjust the set to fit Trumpeter?

2 Likes

I would. I doubt many are still using the Italeri kits if they don’t have to.

2 Likes

I doubt, it is necessary, it is rather appererent, Trumpeter was “inspired” by the Italeri kit. Have a look at my posting from earlier today, and you can see, how the Trumpeter and Italeri frame parts match each other. I had no problems what so ever combining them.

I would. Modelers who know the kits use the Trumpeter kit.

This is all true as I have done the same on 3 occasions. I would at least market it for both, with Trumpeter listed first.

2 Likes

To put it in the wise words of Officer Murphy: “This is going to be a trouble.”

Top is the Italeri frame. (and yes, I’m almost there designing the entire HEMTT)
Bottom the Trumpeter frame, so some adjustment is going to be needed on the Trumpeter frame or the cabin wont fit at all, and I’m starting to think / suspect they made multiple frames for the different HEMTT.

1 Like

They (Oshkosh) do/did make different frames. They are all basically the same though, just longer/shorter/different attachment points for the different versions.

How Italeri and Trumpeter portray them is basically the same as well, with the front cab attachment slightly different, as you have discovered.

2 Likes

I would not pay to much attention to the frame ends, you circled in red. They will not be visible, when the cab is fitted, so it is much more important your parts fit the small part on each frame, which is labeled “D3” in the Trumpeter drawing. And to me it seems, like your printed fit very precisely there.

Also, as Gino (HeavyArty) states, the frame length is often peculiar to each variant. I simply copied the frame size from the Italeri parts, when I lengthened the frame parts on my M985.

M985 IDF

1 Like

Today part, all between playing with the kid and going swimming.

3 Likes

You are pretty much spot on: :slight_smile:

http://data6.primeportal.net/transports/dieter_krause/m977a4/images/m977a4_087_of_221.jpg

http://data6.primeportal.net/transports/dieter_krause/m977a4/images/m977a4_088_of_221.jpg

1 Like

Making progress here:

4 Likes

And done:

Only need to test print now, and adjust if needed.
Oh, and still design the mounting support for the chairs.

3 Likes