3D prints and CADs Part 2 - by petition2God

Yes! I was just looking at my Dragon Wagon. I could use these!
Dan

1 Like

Just incorporated my 3D prints to a $20 kit. :smiley:
Pearls on a pig I suppose.

@HeavyArty,
I already have one of the modern glad hands shown (looks like the one with the red clip):

In such a case, I would need to CAD the other one.
Is the US military set up very similar to the civilian airbrake connection? The modern civilian set-up looks much simpler than how WWII airbrake connections were set up. It appears to me just one glad hand sticking out and none of the other valves or connectors?

Civilian set-ups:

3 Likes

Pretty much. You are close already. Swap the WWII gladhand w/the modern one you have and remove the valve parts and you will be good.

It looks like this (remove red boxes).

If you could also do some connected gladhands and some with the dummy handles, that would be perfect.

1 Like

OK, that won’t be too difficult to pull off. Thanks for the info!

Let me know when you have the gladhands ready. I will definitely be getting a bunch.

Then I guess I will need the heavy Tow Bar as well as the medium one. Stick the Medium one on a HMMWV, then the Heavy One on the Abrams.

1 Like

Also in my P2G3D factory, got a new resin printer- Elegoo Saturn 2 8K. It looks like a beast compared to my current Mars 3 4K. Supposed to double the resolution and triple the printing volume.

Should now be able to print some big projects. Haven’t had the time to try yet however.

9 Likes

Excellent! I’ll take a couple of sets of both WW2 and modern gladhands / fittings. Are you including a regulator in the WW2 set? The Das Werk M1918 155mm Howitzer omitted the regulator and all of the airbrake fittings.

Hi Rick,
I’ll put you in the queue b/c these are not finished yet. I am thinking $2.50 per set (connector + gland hand) + shipping ($6 if w/in the US).
You’d need to educate me on what the “regulators” look like, send me some good reference photos, and basic measurements to CAD them. I am not familiar with these things from WWII at all. I was simply asked to CAD and 3D print after being provided with some photos and measurements. That’s it. :smiley:

Kind regards,
James

WIP for my own use. Valentine Mk. III X wheels:

Ref. photos of the real thing:

Gong to move onto the smaller wheels:

1 Like

James, here are photos for the WW2 airbrake regulators. Note they are from two different guns with a minor difference between the two.

1 Like

Hi Rick,
Any idea what the dimensions/measurements these are? That would be helpful to correctly CAD and 3D print.

Kind regards,
James

MK III Valentine X tank wheel CADs done.

Planning to 3D print this weekend.

3 Likes

The US Army med. tow bars printed again:

Will be working on the heavy duty version soon.

Kind regards,
James

7 Likes

Painted in medium green (CARC 383) and well weathered with rust and bare metal. It’ll look awesome tied down on the back of a Humvee.

6 Likes

CAD in progress for the heavy duty tow bar:

3 Likes

James, unfortunately I don’t have measurements on the WW2 air regulator. You may be able to estimate from the diameter of the air hose strain reliefs. If that doesn’t work, I can take a day and drive down to the Ft Lewis Museum for measurements.

Hi Rick,
No need for you to drive to the museum just to get the measurements. What is the diameter of the air hose strain reliefs? The entire structure does not seem too hard to CAD but there is a lot going on so it will be time-consuming (I’m thinking 5-6 hours based on my current skill level) to make it.

Kind regards,
James

US military heavy duty tow bar:
Calling this CAD done and ready for 3D printing!

4 Likes

Towing hook for WWII British tanks will also be printed this weekend:

Kind regards,
James

2 Likes