42nd Highland Infantry Regiment "Black Watch" at the Battle of Quatre Bras in June, 1815

Really stunning work that is worthy of a gold.

I dinnah wot tew say laddies - Iā€™m a wee bit enviousā€¦

Absolute masterclass here Ski! Canā€™t remember the last time I saw anything as good as this. Every one a winner! Get yerself a beer, brother :beer::beer:
G.

Thank you, Sir!

Oh dearrrrrrrr, cat gotchur tung Lad? thanks, Man!

Oy, to be sure, Sire! I will comply with that directive right quick, Sir!

Thanks, Gents.

1 Like

Ski, your paint work is just mind blowingly brilliant, truly the best I have ever seen in my life. I am humbled by your precision, talent, and attention to detail. The tartans and checkers are exquisite and itā€™s almost inconceivable that they were painted by a human hand, but here they are. By your hand. A Masterā€™s hand. Beautiful!

3 Likes

You are too kind, Amigo, and I do appreciate the compliments. I call it the ā€œbattle of the Tartansā€ cause thatā€™s exactly what it is, HA!

Cheers, Ski.

Wow. Just wow, Show-stoppers all the way. So 6 down, 5 to go ā€“ any thoughts of adding the Frenchies that seem to be an add-on? Hey they didnā€™t wear tartan at least :tumbler_glass:

So this was the famous work you were talking about!
It is most certainly awe inspiring and a true piece of art. It does remind me of the work of Bill Horan.
I have 2 remarksā€¦ Nothing serious, just things I might have done differentlyā€¦
The axe wielder is doing quite some intensive work there so I would have given him a more red complexion to go with itā€¦ Something like this (if it is clear enough):

And for the wounded guy, maybe some fresh blood that seeps through and even tickles across his head? Or old, dried up blood.

As for the shoes : it happens to me with almost all my figures that the paint rubs off from the noses of the shoesā€¦ So you are welcome amongst the humble people!!!

Glad that I have found the topicā€¦

1 Like

Oy Bro, thanks for the input. The blood work will be completed when all the figures are done and I can settle on a realistic red tone for that blood splatter, etc. Red faces, as well as 5ā€™o clock shadows, will be done at the end as well. I like to save them for last on all figs in a dio so the process is fresh en me cabesa, and,ā€¦ so that I donā€™t run the risk of inconsistencies in application, etc. Screw up the first one, the rest work just fine, HA! Itā€™s a production process Iā€™ve been using for everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Cool set of figs ya got there, donā€™t remember seeing that scene.

Ya, Buddy, getting to the Frenchies will be a treat!!! The Frenchies are in the original vignette scenario, but a horseman and a few more Highlanders were added later from the original set. I do not have the add-ons.

Thanks, Gents.

1 Like

I wish I was possessed of the vocabulary to express my sheer admiration of the painting skills you display in the painting and execution of all of your figure-work Ski. You manage to display a uniformity of appearance across the range of figures whilst, at the same time, creating subtle individualism with tonal variationsā€¦truly amazing work my friend, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanationā€¦
I remain in quiet admiration for the result of your magic paintingā€¦

As for the figure(s) they are from a dio I finished before the new forum:
https://archive.armorama.com/forums/280411-page=1/index.htm

Thanks, G-man.

The intent is to make variations, but that can get lost in the process and only happen by chance quite often, HA! I know, it sounds pathetic, but that is exactly why I donā€™t like to be off the bench for long, consistency. With the ruffians itā€™s not hard to weather the blouses and get a worn look, but the high and tight members wonā€™t be getting so dirty, lol. Thanks for the observation and kind remarks.

Thanks, Erwin! Thatā€™s a pretty sweet dio, especially all those different figures, lotsa work. Great job on that locomotive, impressive!

1 Like

Dual to the End!

Suffering from a mild case of ā€œburnoutā€ on this set I was finally able to complete this latest figure. This one has a lot of action not only in his pose, but that face, sheesh! Heā€™s about the ugliest bugger in the group, but he seems to have the situation under control, lol.

Heā€™s viewed here in the upright position, but within the scene heā€™s leaning over the French Coursier and it looks like a battle to the death. This is one of the more dynamic figures within Vladimirā€™s set and it looks like a difficult sculpt, regardless. I really appreciate this sculpt, itā€™s incredible in this scale and very impressive, to say the least.

Painting these figures have become routine, so if thereā€™s anything youā€™re not sure of, check the posts above, theyā€™re all there in more detail.

Looking closely, it appears I have missed filling the gaps within the arm pit, oops! No worries, that will be handle mighty right quick. The bayonet scabbard must be painted and installed as well as a layer of Dull Coat within a few days to dull down the sheen. As mentioned before all weathering and blood splatters will be done when all the figures are completed.

Well, Iā€™m down to two more ā€œtartanā€ lads, so hopefully before the snow flies Iā€™ll have this beauty of a set completed. I fully expect to have the base started by mid-November. That will be fun for me, I always love doing ground work.

Thanks for watchin, comments are always welcome. If you see anything else I may have missed, please holler.

Cheers, Ski.

11 Likes

Another beaut, even if he is uglyā€¦:+1:

1 Like

Ya, Ryan, that was a tough face to paint. Chiseled faces are never any fun!

But his mum loves him lol ā€¦ Another stunning figure Skiā€¦ The whole will be stunning on the ground workā€¦a real head turner :+1:

1 Like

Routine painting, he saysā€¦sheesh! Absolutely spectacular work, Ski.

2 Likes

BroSki , ā€¦ the flag , the Tartan , the socks ā€¦ absofrigginlutely masterful work of art !!!

Tanks, Johnny, greatly appreciated! Yes, we can never forget, heā€™s got a mum too :wink:

Thanks, Matt. Itā€™s about as routine as itā€™s gonna get, HA! After awhile it all becomes a blurrrrrrr,ā€¦

Thanks, Glenn! The end is near at hand, finally!

One more impressive figure behind the belt! Personally I prefer those faces with character, as they give you more guidance where to put the highlightsā€¦
Is it me, or are the straps on the blanket the same colour as the blanket?