5"38 Cutaway Turret Complex; CAD and 3D Printed

Sincere thanks!

When I built this one,

I thought it would be the last monster, custom build I was going to do, but the 5" system was nagging at me. While smaller in stature than the 16" system, it crammed a lot of ambiguous stuff in a small space. I had collected some reference on the 5"38 for years, but was reticent to do it because of the above reasons.

But I’ve reached a point in my modeling life, that I wanted each project to push the envelope regarding my skills and also for the hobby itself. I know of no other massively detailed 16" system anywhere and hope that this one is the same.

As the 16" project got on the ground, Ryan Syzmanski, the New Jersey curator, and I slowly began to develop a relationship. I needed his input! When the project was finished and I delivered it,

the relationship went from “a desire to build something” to “Here’s something special to display on the ship.” Now I needed him more than ever. Ryan and I now communicate almost daily. We’ve become friends and if I need specific images taken in specific ways he delivers quickly. it’s making the job possible… not easy… just possible.

Lastly, without being skilled in SketchUp (constantly learning new techniques) and 3D resin printing (constantly learning new techniques), I wouldn’t even have attempted it.

And like you, it’s hard to imagine the creativity, skills and shear intent that enabled people to design, build and field these machines without the digital aids we have today. The 5" 38 first appeared on a destroyer in 1934. By the end of WW2, they were in place on every type of ship in the Navy, in many varieties. The mounts, shields and fire control changed, but the gun itself did not change. It was essentially perfect. I aliken it to the Fender Stratocaster, designed by Leo Fender in 1954 and remaining essentially unchanged since then. Another creation that fits this description is the Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman that was designed by Charles and Raye Eames in the mid 50s for the Herman Miller Furniture Company. It’s still produced today and found in many art museums all over the planet. You can find them in movies, TV shows and people’s houses all the time. I’m sitting on one writing all this crap.

With this project coming along nicely, I’m left with the dilemma of what to do for an encore. If each project has to be more comprehensive than the last, what should/could it be? I’ve actually been entertaining modeling the engine room. Hmmmm…. I like modeling spaces where visitors can’t get to, or even when they’re there, can’t comprehend the totality. The 5"38 fits this criterion. Even when you’re actually in the turret, it’s hard to figure out what you’re looking at.

5 Likes