8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

This way you don’t know you’ve got Ham Steak in Mustard Sauce until it’s too late.

3 Likes

@DeskJockey @Canmedic If you guys want printed water, soda, and ration boxes on card stock, I have some sheets that I made up. They’re not razor sharp, but they’re recognizable. PM me your address and I’d be happy to mail you a couple of sheets, free.

2 Likes

Please forgive me as I might be butting in here:

Just wanted to show a lessor known 8 Wheeler built by Oshkosh. ~ Not at all intended as part of this group build as this one is already built. The S-B-S is somewhere back in the archives.

Offered to the Marines but they did not seem interested. A few however, have been sold to our European Allies. (To my knowledge no official designation number was ever assigned to this vehicle. Oshkosh built them totally on spec.)

The vehicle is based on the Marine Mark 23 heavy truck but with an extended frame and O-k’s modular TAK-4 axle structure plus a stock LHS container system.

It took two Mark 23 kits and one HEMTT LHS plus a container to build this model but I assure you NOTHING was wasted out of any of those kits. Right off the bat you can build this shorty Oshkosh (also Experimental) 4x4 called the “TerraMax” with the left over parts!

autowp.ru_oshkosh_mtvr_4x4_short_bed_cargo_1CROP_sm IMG_7993Xsm

6 Likes

Excellent builds, and it is always seeing scratch building and kit bashing like that. Very neat work :+1:

1 Like

To bad these two are not available as normal kits, they look great, especially the big one!!

1 Like

Here is the start of my M985A2 HEMMT.

2 Likes

I’ve pretty much finished the undercarriage if my M1133, but noticed that Trumpeter only provides a slapdash fix for the incorrect shock covers. The plastic parts represent the smaller, solid shock covers used in pre-production Strykers. To represent the correct covers, Trumpeter would have you add a PE part on top of the plastic part, which leaves the solid part covering more than half of the perforated mesh of the PE part (as you can see on the left in the picture below). You can’t use the PE parts by themselves as these only provide one of the two sides necessary to glue the covers onto the lower hull. So I went ahead and modified the plastic parts by cutting off most of the material that blocks the PE mesh (you can see the modified part on the right in the picture). I just wish I had thought of this before gluing two of the plastic covers on. I thought about trying to pry them off, but they’re not coming off. Oh, well, at least the two I glued down are the ones partially hidden by a box.

modification

2 Likes

Nice fix :+1:

Just watched one of the daily news updates about the Ukraine/Russian face off, and it had a good clip of a battery of S-400s and 1 Kamaz Pantsir S1 -so I take it the Pantsir acts as a point defence guard for the S-400s ? Suppose that makes sense to have a heavy hitter like that acting as overwatch.

Now the LAV AD is done, I can get back on track with the Pantsir.
Gone back in step with the instructions and starting on the internal cab.

All goes together so well and no real issues with any flash or other problems.

The 3 seats are nicely detailed, they are built up with either 5 or 6 pieces. Going to leave all the clear parts till the very end.

7 Likes

Got the main bulk of the cab done and put together.

Have to go over the grey again before I put the front on.

The dash, doors and front air vents are cut and ready to go together but will do that tomorrow, then I can finish off the external parts of the cab less glass work which will go on towards the end of the build before painting.

4 Likes

Cab is now done. Again, this went together really well and the fit is great.

Dash decals look ok, no problems with them, just fiddly as they are so small. The actual dials went it ok as I just place them over the hole and pushed them in with a damp cotton bud.
I also added some extra paint to a few switches to give a bit more contrast to the black.

Looking down from the rear before roof goes on

And everything on. I wasn’t going to add the windscreen till the very end, but the top part of the windscreen frame on the cab front panel is pretty flimsy and didn’t hold its shape well when I dry fitted it. So I masked the windscreen up then secured it in place … Seemed to work and the masking tape will stay on till nearer the end now.

And last one, looking through drivers can window.

Next will be building up the lower chassis and drive train.

8 Likes

Thats looking very nice, love the details on the dashboard!

2 Likes

Cheers Bert, it is super detailed so looking forward and at the same time daunted by the sheer amount of little pieces and sub assemblies that still have to go on the chassis… At least 3 pages with a minimum of 30 sub sections… Crazy amount of plastic… But in a good way.

1 Like

Chassis update.
This part of the top side of the chassis.

The engine sadly is pretty much hidden away now inside the chassis. All the new grey parts will be black and the grey areas on the chassis are just where the tape was masking holes for parts.

Same detail for the underside of the chassis. A lot major parts to go here including axles, exhausts and other air tanks etc.

@@SSGToms , Matt you’ll love doing this but it’s going be full on mate… Lol

4 Likes

Just keep posting those pictures, great reference material for whenever I start mine… :+1:

1 Like

Why have I never thought to do this?

2 Likes

I usually do tape or very small balls of blue tac, but I’d run out of that :+1:

1 Like

@Johnnych01 Yeah John that’s a full project and I have 4 PE sets for it - that’s why I have it saved for 2023.

1 Like

I forgot about the PE sets you’d got for it… That will be epic in itself… Will be tagging along for that ride definitely :+1::+1:

1 Like