8 Wheelers from 1965 - to Present

Right. I wasn’t aware myself too when I bought mine. It will take its space on my already crowded shelves :grin:

Good job Johnny :+1:

Olivier

Thanks Jeff & Olivier, and even as big as it is now, when you think that the wheels have to be added (which are nice and chunky) and then the weapon station turret, its going to have a lot more height to it as well.
The draw back is even thinking of putting it on a dio base will add even more space needed to display it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a BART (Big Ass Russian Thing). It’s shaping up beautifully John! Construction is really rolling along for you and she’s turning out to be quite the pretty behemoth.

2 Likes

Its a really nice kit to be fair. The more I get into the more nice little details I see. Its been crisply done, practically zero flash, a few pour marks (which were all on the reverse and hidden from view), well fitting all over. I know you have got them already but its one of those kits that I think you could get away with no PE for, even the tyres are nice on it. I think you will really enjoy putting this one together when you get to it :+1:

1 Like

It is coming along great. Very nice detail. I agree that you should show off the engine as well.

It is basically the same size as a US HEMTT 8x8 truck. The Pantsyr is mounted on a KamAz 6560 8x8 truck.

HEMTT
Length - 10.4m
Width - 2.4m
Height - 3.0m

KamAz 6560
Length - 10.3m
Width - 2.5m
Height - 3.27m

2 Likes

Swedish Archer SP artillery
Length - 14.1 m
Width - 3.0 m
Height - 3.3 to 3.9 m (I guess it depends on weapon station on the cabin or not

Only 6 wheels though …
:wink: :grin:

Some size variations…

LAV AD

Spartan

And wheel verses Spartan :grin:

6 Likes

“…and what the the Spartan’s commander’s reason for the crash?”

“Apparently the driver got Tyred Sir!”

2 Likes

Dang. You got me thinking about tyres/tires …

That’s getting tyred in a really bad way …

@Johnnych01 That thing is just huge. I wouldn’t want to have to change a flat.
@Uncle-Heavy Where the hell do you come up with this stuff?

some minds work in very very mysterious ways lol

1 Like

I suppose it wouldnt be a huge drama as you could use the vehicle stabiliser ramps to lift it, and by looking at the kit, the spare is on a hydraulic ramp / post … still a back breaker though

2 Likes

Mind like a sponge.
I hear or see something and ferret it away in some obscure corner of my mind and then it pops back out again when triggered by something related or even remotely related.
I also thought about dash-cam videos from cars suddenly having a close encounter with a wheel which has escaped from another vehicle. Too much effort involved in digging up one of those though, me being a lazy bugger and all …
:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I actually saw that happen once in front of me, a guy stopped for the red light and his front left wheel kept going across the intersection!

1 Like

Did he get slapped with a fine for crossing on a red light?
I mean, parts of his vehicle had crossed the stop line …

2 Likes

No, but all hell broke loose in the beauty parlor full of women across the street when the tire went through the storefront!

1 Like

Ahhh! Them ladies got tired …

1 Like

They earnt their money that day lol

1 Like

Few more steps forward.
The detailing is now on the rear (generator I think) housing and the bottom section of the weapon superstructure.

The RH side of the rear housing has a large louvred vent, and the kit is only supplied with the usual Zvezda tight weave plastic mesh which you cut to size for over the top and under the outer frame as shown below

It looks ok I suppose but I’m not totally sold on it… I have seen several live images where the mesh is not present, so I may leave it off… It’s only dry fit above.

Have also got all the huge wheels together which I’ll paint separately later. Then get them on the axles and make sure everything is on the deck :+1:

7 Likes

Finished construction on my Stryker MEV (or so I thought–more on that later) and began painting yesterday with a black primer/base coat.

I left the pioneer tools off for ease of painting, since they stack on top of each other. I also left off the fuel and water cans at the rear and the smoke grenade assembly that goes in front of the track commander’s hatch for the same reason. You can see that I installed the pre-painted (and masked) red cross panels, though.

It was only after I finished painting the NATO green base coat that I realized I had left off the mirror assemblies. It’s not the end of the world, but it’s still annoying.

5 Likes